Profile Picture

The '54 on our vacation trip

Posted By 82warren 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Just got back from a fun trip from our farm home north of Minneapolis out to Medora ND, the oil fields up around Waford/Williston, then up to the Peace Gardens on the border, this was a happy jaunt in our ALL original '54 Crestline fordor, almost 1500 miles.  I'll say this, anybody that would substitute the Y-block with one of these later 'throwaway' engines is making a big mistake, there's nothing like real Ford engineering to get you there and back, our 239 ran like a clock, smooth and quiet, we averaged 18 mpg and with this big heavy car that's a testament to FoMoCo and those that built it.  
My cheap overhaul last winter is a winner, thanks in part to Ted, who came up with the small part I lost in the process, also some advice from a few.  These modern rings are much better, oil consumption was as close to zero as it gets, I'm using 10/30 motor oil, 80/90 in tranny and rear end, Hi-Tran in the OD.
North Dakota is a boom, every road we traveled was NEW, most every building, motel and eat place is new, ND boasts a 3.6 BILLION surplus in their general fund, it's amazing what oil will do. 
Anyway guys, a nice little trip, our AM radio working great, we had a good time and nary a worry or a tool used or even looked at, anybody says a Y-block can't cut it, they haven't a clue, it's 90 miles from Devil's Lake to Grand Forks, I held it at a steady 80 all the way, made our motel by dark.  My advice, jump in your Ford and take a trip someplace, just do it.
Warren

Reading This Topic

Site Meter