Profile Picture

The '54 on our vacation trip

Posted By 82warren 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Agree fully! Great testament! I have boughten some out midwest and the people looked at me like I was crazy when I told them I was driving it home, they said it probably never left the farm in its life, made it without a hitch each time, one of the old motors put in my 58 F100 and drove to Y block nationals 1800 miles without hitch, no Idea what kind of mileage on that one but it still runs like a champ!

55 Vicky & customline

58 Rack Dump, 55 F350 yard truck, 57 F100

59 & 61 P 400's, 58 F100 custom cab, 69 F100, 79 F150, 82 F600 ramp truck, 90 mustang conv 7 up, 94 Mustang, Should I continue?

paul2748
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I just came back from a trip from NJ to CA and return with some friends.  While I rode shotgun, three of the cars were early TBirds with 312's.  One broke a push rod and ruined an adjuster, but we were able to get replacements from a fellow TBirder

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

82warren
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)

Absolutely, why own a car and leave it sit, no usage, the rubber stuff gets stiff, rust starts here and there, get it out and keep it moving, it's useless just sitting, plus being hard on things.

This trip around ND and such was a shorter one, a few years ago we drove from home (65mi N. of Minneapolis) down to KY and TN, then up thru' WV, MD, NY and to a friend's place in CT, very close to Long Island Sound, you can't get much farther east than that.  Then on home thru PA, OH, IN, Chicago, Milwaukee and on west home.  Never touched a tool, we just drove and had fun.

Ain't no trailer queens here pal ............   :-))

Warren, in MN

stlroken
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (200 reputation)Supercharged (200 reputation)Supercharged (200 reputation)Supercharged (200 reputation)Supercharged (200 reputation)Supercharged (200 reputation)Supercharged (200 reputation)Supercharged (200 reputation)Supercharged (200 reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago
For 15 years we took our '56 Victoria on the MotorIoway trips (appox 1000-1500 miles per year). All over the state of Iowa and surrounding states. Our '56 has a 312 by vin, which was replaced so it could be a 292, either way it runs smooth, good mpg and is great. MotorIoway is no longer so am looking forward to just taking off on our own and enjoying the sites and the '56 Vicky with the Y-Block. Times passing and might as well get out and enjoy both. As mentioned in the previous post...get that Y-block out and drive it....enjoy it and let other people enjoy it as well.
Jim

62bigwindow
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 8 Months Ago
Well said.

Durham Missouri
82warren
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)

Yep, the trip was a blast Ted and you helped make it happen, nobody is going to forget about those wrist pin retainers you sent us, that was the only thing we needed but ya' can't put 'em together without 'em.  At any rate the car ran like a champ and did some pretty high speed stuff here and there, we were in no hurry at all but needed to really punch it to get to our motel before it got too late, I hate going to bed at midnight.

I keep hearing guys say that these Y's are no good, don't last, bad oiling system and more, this is pure garbage and I'll tell anybody that in solid English anytime with no hesitation.  I'm 83 and have been there and done it, have seem 'em come and seen 'em go, those Ford engineers are the best and always have been, none of us peons are going to upstage them and if you think so... think again, the Y's are one of the best balanced engines they ever built, far advanced for the time and also for now. 
Keep in mind that there are speed limits on highways, you go much over in this part of the world you'll be paying bigtime, the Y-block can easily get you a ticket, big motors no advantage, only sucking gas money and thinning your wallet.  We drive our cars every day, our '54 could take us to California or New York any time, most of these street rods I've seen would be lucky to get out of town.
FoMoCo did my engineering, I only maintain them.

Thanks again Ted,

Warren

jmphillips
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (27 reputation)Normally aspirated (27 reputation)Normally aspirated (27 reputation)Normally aspirated (27 reputation)Normally aspirated (27 reputation)Normally aspirated (27 reputation)Normally aspirated (27 reputation)Normally aspirated (27 reputation)Normally aspirated (27 reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago
That trip sounds amazing. I am definitely jealous. I hope to make my 54 Effie a daily driver, even though everyone says I'm crazy to run a y block. I'm having trouble even finding a machine shop interested doing any engine work. It's encouraging to know that there are people still willing to build a reliable ride with these old y blocks.
Ted
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
Warren.  Sounds like a great trip.  I agree completely about the reliability on these old engines.  Many people with 100K plus miles on their older vehicles have forgotten what these cars were like when they were new.  My ’55 Customline has over a quarter million miles on it and I still would not hesitate to jump in it and go on an extended trip.  And that’s with 145K miles on the 272 that was rebuilt back in 1990.  The engine is starting to leak just a little bit of oil now around the pan gasket but the engine itself is not burning any oil.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

82warren
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Just got back from a fun trip from our farm home north of Minneapolis out to Medora ND, the oil fields up around Waford/Williston, then up to the Peace Gardens on the border, this was a happy jaunt in our ALL original '54 Crestline fordor, almost 1500 miles.  I'll say this, anybody that would substitute the Y-block with one of these later 'throwaway' engines is making a big mistake, there's nothing like real Ford engineering to get you there and back, our 239 ran like a clock, smooth and quiet, we averaged 18 mpg and with this big heavy car that's a testament to FoMoCo and those that built it.  
My cheap overhaul last winter is a winner, thanks in part to Ted, who came up with the small part I lost in the process, also some advice from a few.  These modern rings are much better, oil consumption was as close to zero as it gets, I'm using 10/30 motor oil, 80/90 in tranny and rear end, Hi-Tran in the OD.
North Dakota is a boom, every road we traveled was NEW, most every building, motel and eat place is new, ND boasts a 3.6 BILLION surplus in their general fund, it's amazing what oil will do. 
Anyway guys, a nice little trip, our AM radio working great, we had a good time and nary a worry or a tool used or even looked at, anybody says a Y-block can't cut it, they haven't a clue, it's 90 miles from Devil's Lake to Grand Forks, I held it at a steady 80 all the way, made our motel by dark.  My advice, jump in your Ford and take a trip someplace, just do it.
Warren

Reading This Topic

Site Meter