Profile Picture

edelbrock 1403 500cfm on new 292 y-block

Posted By ianmatt 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I just put on my 4-hole 2" spacer. Seems to run a tad bit smoother in take off but not a lot. barely noticeable. Its an isky cam slight lope good for street performance. I will have to look up the specs. I am smelling a lot of gas while driving too but i dont see leaks anywhere.
ianmatt
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)

Sorry maybe I missed it above but what jets for primary and secondary would you recommend for my area? thanks
charliemccraney
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
I'd do whatever is outlined in the excellent tuning manual that came with the carb.

But we need to know the cam specs before any more advice can be offered.  Like miker said, 7" hg is either a huge cam or a vacuum leak, both of which have their own tuning issues.  If it is a huge cam, you probably are undercarbed.  If it's a vacuum leak, then there is no sense trying to tune anything until the leak is fixed.

Lawrenceville, GA
Ted
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 3 days ago
Total agreement with miker and Charlie on the 7” of vacuum; that’s low.  The low vacuum needs to be addressed first before going deeply into the carb as the power enrichment cycle could be the culprit at this point.  As far as jetting for higher altitude, the Holley carbs tend to respond to a one number reduction in jet size for each 2000 foot increase in altitude.  For subtle primary jet changes on the Carter/Edelbrock carbs, both a jet and metering rod change would be required.  I’ll suggest going back to the information provided with the carb and go from there.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

ianmatt
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks a ton for all of the help fellas. I'll keep you posted as to how it works out. thanks!
miker
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
If I read your post and the chart right, you're running the natural finish 8" vacumn springs. So they're open and on the enrichment circuit at 7" as it is.

Cap off all the vacuum connections first. PVC, dizzy, brakes, whatever, and see what you've got.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
ianmatt
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Its been a while and I had forgotten about this post so I wanted to update. I ended up with my cam and intake at 11-12 inches of vacuum at idle. I called edelbrock for a second opinion as I could tell my truck liked the stock jets much better at 5000 feet above sea level. I have put the carb back to stock including the orange springs and the thing has never run better. I have checked my plugs as well and they are a perfect color.  I have the fuel pressure at 5 psi. Engine seems to be incredibly happy. After my valve adjustment I can now actually hear my isky e4 cam. Stoked. Thanks for all the input guys.
charliemccraney
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

11-12 inches is still very low vacuum.  Which cam do you have?

Lawrenceville, GA
57RancheroJim
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Charlie, he says it's an E4. I can only get 12-13 with my E4 also. Stock manifold 1/2" spacer, Holey 390 and 12 degrees initial timing stock 57 exhaust headers.. . But it runs great!
charliemccraney
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Oh, yeah, he did.
I have a bigger cam and get 15",  However, mine is on 112 degree lobe centers rather than 108 like the E4.  That might cause the difference.

Lawrenceville, GA

Reading This Topic

Site Meter