Profile Picture

2016 EMC Vintage class heavy on Y Block entries

Posted By RB 8 Years Ago
Rated 2 stars based on 1 vote.
Author
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I have to admit I was trying to figure out how Charlie could tell it was Australian until I read Rowen's comment at which I must have let out a sound somewhere between a chuckle and a groan.  Good one.
charliemccraney
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 51 minutes ago
I've been checking out the Olds Rocket and they don't seem too impressive.  They have the benefit of more displacement but it looks like the best factory heads are roughly equivalent to the best iron Y-Block heads.  The Ross racing heads seem to be roughly equivalent to Mummert heads, better than stock but not all out racing.
If Kaase's main requirement last year was the availability of aluminum heads so he can make changes, then I'm sure he's going to do that to the Ross Racing heads to make it work the way he wants.  I'm interested to see what he comes up with.

Lawrenceville, GA
Joe-JDC
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
After having stood and talked with Jon for quite a while, and looking over his Y-Block modifications, I feel certain he will come up with some "out of the box" thinking on the Oldsmobile heads.  He would not pick an engine unless he feels he can take a "sow's ear" and turn it into a "silk purse".   He is in it for the challenge, and like many of us, he hates to lose.  So again, ----- he will surprise us.   I keep hoping John's new heads will be capable of flowing 300 cfm, but so far, they are just shy, especially the lower ports.  Have to figure that one out before next EMC competition.   What the Y Block needs is a good tunnel ram intake for competition purposes where hood clearance is not a factor.   Joe-JDC

JDC
DryLakesRacer
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

I know rules are meant to be read between the lines but IMHO I'd like to see single 4 barrel manifold only must be cast. No hand crafted i.e.: Wilson, etc. EFI allowed must be throttle body style based. Oh well..

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
dbird
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)

Not really 2016 stuff, but a nice write-up about Kaase's 2015 Y-block engine if the July issue of Muscle Machines.
don

Daniel Jessup
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Wow, this is great news!

I will have to say though, I really want to see what Jerry Christenson whips out. I know he doesn't do much online, so most of us won't know any "tricks" he would have going.....not that he would tell us any way.

Anyone know what he is up to?

Daniel Jessup

Loveland, Ohio

aka "The Hot Rod Reverend" w00t
check out the 1955 Ford Fairlane build at www.hotrodreverend.com

PF Arcand
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Re the comment that the Old's engine has the benefit of more displacement. The EMC is scored on a point system, which focus' on efficiency in a specific RPM range.  I don't see how more displacement is an advantage? 

Paul
charliemccraney
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

You're right, the way it is scored, it does level the playing field.

My thought is based on the fact that if everything else is equal a smaller engine generally has to rev higher than than a larger engine to produce the same power and given the relatively low test range, that would give a larger engine the benefit.  Most of the entrants do seem to come to the competition with engines which are larger than a simple overbore would allow, so there must be some benefit to it but there could be a point of diminishing returns as well.

Maybe one of the Pro's can elaborate more on that.

Lawrenceville, GA
LordMrFord
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
So competition is only hp/ci contest in specific range on rpm?

Hyvinkää, FI
charliemccraney
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

it is average hp and tq over a specified range / ci X 1000 to make it easier to read.

Lawrenceville, GA

Reading This Topic

Site Meter