Profile Picture

Help Decoding my Fairlane's Data Plate Please?

Posted By Half-dude 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hey there guys,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me figured out the date plate code for my car. I've found a few decoder sites including the page on Gil's Garage. The weird part is that several parts of the code including the entire production code doesn't make any sense in the decoder. I'm mostly wanting to find out the paint codes for my car, but the codes on the panel and the actual paint on the car doesn't match up.

Here's a picture of the data plate on my car:
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/8b03671f-848d-4cb3-8aac-1a0a.jpg

Now the serial number is fine, I've got that totally decoded. (8 Cyl-OHV - 272,1955, Production Plant: Kansas City, Town Sedan (Fairlane),19,838th car assembled)

The problems start with the paint codes which appear to be E and G considering my Fairlane is a two tone. Though it's interesting that it's shown as E-G when the examples I see show it as EG. However while E is shown to be Snowshoe White, G is Sea Sprite Green. But as you can see I've got a blue and white Fairlane:

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/add3ed58-d715-49ee-a367-5f37.jpg

Could it be possible someone at the plant put a G instead of a C? Because C is Aquatone Blue

The trim code also makes no sense, on mine it's 20A but in every example I've seen, the trim code is only supposed to be a letter.

Now the production code is really weird! It's supposed to be the date it was produced along with the number of car it was. Only the month is supposed to be a letter and the first one or two characters should be numbers.. but they're not.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on?
PF Arcand
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Don't know for sure, but some possibilities are;
Cars been repainted.
Had a major accident & was rebuilt using another car's plate.
Stolen at some point & re plated.
.. Another person on this site had a similar situation. The data plate apparently was from another car. The car had been stored for years, possibly stolen, but I don't know the final outcome?. 

Paul
Dobie
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Fake data plate.
paul2748
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Do you know the history of the car?  Anything could have been changed over the years including paint and interior.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Lou
This post has been flagged as an answer
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
"E" car left the factory solid color white
"G" trim code Blue cloth & medium blue cloth
"20A  build date January 20, 1955
"DS" sale district Des Moines, IA
"4129" number of cars shipped to the Des Moines sales district so far this month  (This meant different thing at different plants , can also be dearer order number 
"C" Third car in this order 
Half-dude
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)

Well dang, how about that.

You know, I actually could believe that the blue was added on later, you know? I've always noticed the subtle sloppy painting right under the headlights where the two colors come together. Guess that also explains why the inside of the headlight frames are white. Makes even more sense because her first owner was a doctor who did house calls.. makes sense he'd have her in ambulance white.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/50934d08-5ecd-48da-82b3-4001.jpg
mgcookwv
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (410 reputation)Supercharged (410 reputation)Supercharged (410 reputation)Supercharged (410 reputation)Supercharged (410 reputation)Supercharged (410 reputation)Supercharged (410 reputation)Supercharged (410 reputation)Supercharged (410 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
They didn't put that combination color on Fairlanes until 1956, when I purchased my new plate I had the original color on the color code, my car is the same color as your. I didn't want to represent it as something it wasn't. Same way with interior, I have cloth seats and they only offered vinyl in 1955 in my color.
mgcookwv
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (410 reputation)Supercharged (410 reputation)Supercharged (410 reputation)Supercharged (410 reputation)Supercharged (410 reputation)Supercharged (410 reputation)Supercharged (410 reputation)Supercharged (410 reputation)Supercharged (410 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Also I agree the person who made the data plate didn't use the original data but used what is on it now, which is okay as long as you tell someone if you are selling it to them.
Lou
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
You lost me, what color didn't Ford offer until 56?
Half-dude
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

mgcookwv (4/18/2016)
They didn't put that combination color on Fairlanes until 1956

Do you know the color codes for those two colors?

Reading This Topic

Site Meter