Profile Picture

Those carb things

Posted By Talkwrench 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Quite often guys ask questions about what carb works, So I thought I would share my experience.
Disclaimer : this are my own findings and based on a stock 292 , FORDOMATIC. With pertronix ignitor 3, timing at around 12 initial, total at 36-38 and all in by 2700 rpm. B manifold port matched, 1/2" 4 hole spacer for the carb. twin exhaust through Smithys. And bum dyno.

1. Started with a 600 Holley auto choke. Fine, worked ok . I think in the end I settled on 62 jets, 10 " P/valve,  blue pump cam , 31 squirter , black secondary spring  .  Good point seemed to always start no problems after sitting a few weeks. The 600 now sits on my 74 Cuda. changed settings of course, It works really well on that.

2. Went to a 450 Holley auto choke, supplied and rebuilt by Phil at RPM ind.  with that one I settled on 58 jets, 8.5 P/valve, green pump cam, 31 squirter, brown secondary spring. Good point.. None really was about the same as the 600, the only thing is that it seemed to dry out because of the vent in the float bowl.

3. Now on an Edelbrock 600 performer 1406 [the economy one with electric choke] was originally on my Cuda. With this one the stock needles and jets with the heavy 8" springs. I tried the next up rich needles [23] but it felt very much like the Holleys - fat. I have felt a difference with the Edelbrock it seems to have much better transition and though mid range to top end seems stronger, definitely noticeable with the standard needles. It did however have a very very slight of idle flat spot, I just moved the pump jet to the nearest hole and bingo all good, I found from a standing start I can floor it and it pulls away clean, slow as slug but clean, the Holleys Mmm just .  Good point, well I guess its the stronger mid range now thats important.. >>> [Also the kick down works better..??]

Because its a Fordomatic they can be a bit of a slug because of the way it works, as we know its really just a two speed. Start of in second gear and a lot of the corners - round-abouts etc your usually driving out in top gear..
 The one thing that has been evident with my car is that it likes a bit fuel straight up, note the "heavy pump cams"   even with the Edelbrock pump.
The Y block and Fordo - doesn't seem to be that fussy I really think that any carb from 390 to 600 CFM works ok, I haven't seen a revelation , just the stronger mid range in Edelbrock I guess.
Hope this helps someone..

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/02c74785-3ce2-4b80-a66c-f31f.jpg

"Came too close to dying to stop living now!"

Threaded View

Threaded View
Forum Post Those carb things By Talkwrench ( 8 Years Ago )
Forum Post I will add that my experience with Edelbrocks and Carters is that they... By Vic Correnti ( 8 Years Ago )
Forum Post verrey good artical. re the ford auto, not dificult to make it start... By 2721955meteor ( 8 Years Ago )
Forum Post I only have experience with Edelbrock and newer Holleys (Street... By charliemccraney ( 8 Years Ago )
Forum Post Talkwrench. Thanks for your write up. A couple of things missing at... By DryLakesRacer ( 8 Years Ago )
Forum Post Dry lakes, I don't want to hijack the thread, but I've got an EFI on... By miker ( 8 Years Ago )
Forum Post Thanks miker! Tried to send message but told your full and need to... By DryLakesRacer ( 8 Years Ago )
Forum Post I have an Edelbrock 600 (don't remember the number but manual choke)... By paul2748 ( 8 Years Ago )
Forum Post I tend to agree with Vic. Also found the Edelbrock extremely easy to... By pegleg ( 8 Years Ago )
Forum Post 2721955 Meteor. I think I understand what you saying , but just cant... By Talkwrench ( 8 Years Ago )
Forum Post [quote][b]Talkwrench (4/9/2016)[/b][hr]..... What has the Avenger... By Ted ( 8 Years Ago )
Forum Post [quote][b]Ted (4/9/2016)[/b][hr] [quote][b]Talkwrench... By pegleg ( 8 Years Ago )
Forum Post [quote][b]Talkwrench (4/9/2016)[/b][hr] 2721955 Meteor. I think I... By ian57tbird ( 8 Years Ago )
Forum Post Mostly, simply because it is a modern carb, it has modern fuel... By charliemccraney ( 8 Years Ago )
Forum Post According to Holley tech, the 570 is geared more toward stock... By charliemccraney ( 8 Years Ago )
Forum Post How did you adjust it Ian , did you still line up the hole in the bell... By Talkwrench ( 8 Years Ago )
Forum Post It was a long time ago, soon after I got the car but I think it was as... By ian57tbird ( 8 Years Ago )
Forum Post The Fordo transmission manual has some additional advice about setting... By GREENBIRD56 ( 8 Years Ago )
Forum Post At least on the 56 Fairlane, the rough adjustment for the trans is to... By rgrove ( 8 Years Ago )
Forum Post The thing I learned - the hard way as always - is that once you have... By GREENBIRD56 ( 8 Years Ago )
Forum Post Well I seem to have it working ok but now I remember why it never... By Talkwrench ( 8 Years Ago )
Forum Post Seems like I have to go and check my linkages all over again .. I... By Talkwrench ( 8 Years Ago )
Forum Post This is the diagram I came up with for the T-bird years ago - shows... By GREENBIRD56 ( 8 Years Ago )
Forum Post Im sure Ive got your diagram lying around Steve from last time.. And I... By Talkwrench ( 8 Years Ago )
Forum Post From what I recall, get pedal travel wright first then set the... By ian57tbird ( 8 Years Ago )
Forum Post As I recall - racers (with stock outfits) always would leave in LOW... By GREENBIRD56 ( 8 Years Ago )
Forum Post Steve, we did, and it worked. By pegleg ( 8 Years Ago )

Reading This Topic

Site Meter