Profile Picture

Those carb things

Posted By Talkwrench 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Quite often guys ask questions about what carb works, So I thought I would share my experience.
Disclaimer : this are my own findings and based on a stock 292 , FORDOMATIC. With pertronix ignitor 3, timing at around 12 initial, total at 36-38 and all in by 2700 rpm. B manifold port matched, 1/2" 4 hole spacer for the carb. twin exhaust through Smithys. And bum dyno.

1. Started with a 600 Holley auto choke. Fine, worked ok . I think in the end I settled on 62 jets, 10 " P/valve,  blue pump cam , 31 squirter , black secondary spring  .  Good point seemed to always start no problems after sitting a few weeks. The 600 now sits on my 74 Cuda. changed settings of course, It works really well on that.

2. Went to a 450 Holley auto choke, supplied and rebuilt by Phil at RPM ind.  with that one I settled on 58 jets, 8.5 P/valve, green pump cam, 31 squirter, brown secondary spring. Good point.. None really was about the same as the 600, the only thing is that it seemed to dry out because of the vent in the float bowl.

3. Now on an Edelbrock 600 performer 1406 [the economy one with electric choke] was originally on my Cuda. With this one the stock needles and jets with the heavy 8" springs. I tried the next up rich needles [23] but it felt very much like the Holleys - fat. I have felt a difference with the Edelbrock it seems to have much better transition and though mid range to top end seems stronger, definitely noticeable with the standard needles. It did however have a very very slight of idle flat spot, I just moved the pump jet to the nearest hole and bingo all good, I found from a standing start I can floor it and it pulls away clean, slow as slug but clean, the Holleys Mmm just .  Good point, well I guess its the stronger mid range now thats important.. >>> [Also the kick down works better..??]

Because its a Fordomatic they can be a bit of a slug because of the way it works, as we know its really just a two speed. Start of in second gear and a lot of the corners - round-abouts etc your usually driving out in top gear..
 The one thing that has been evident with my car is that it likes a bit fuel straight up, note the "heavy pump cams"   even with the Edelbrock pump.
The Y block and Fordo - doesn't seem to be that fussy I really think that any carb from 390 to 600 CFM works ok, I haven't seen a revelation , just the stronger mid range in Edelbrock I guess.
Hope this helps someone..

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/02c74785-3ce2-4b80-a66c-f31f.jpg

"Came too close to dying to stop living now!"
Vic Correnti
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (703 reputation)Supercharged (703 reputation)Supercharged (703 reputation)Supercharged (703 reputation)Supercharged (703 reputation)Supercharged (703 reputation)Supercharged (703 reputation)Supercharged (703 reputation)Supercharged (703 reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
I will add that my experience with Edelbrocks and Carters is that they stay in tune, are easy to tune, and no such thing as a fuel bowel leak. My usage is on the street as well as the drag strip and they always preformed well for me.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/7393d096-cbf0-4ed0-bfdc-c4b0.jpg  Vic Correnti

2721955meteor
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 5 Months Ago
verrey good artical. re the ford auto, not dificult to make it start in low,go to a older motors manual ,they have good inst on linkage adjustement,after you do this giv the cevice 1 extra turn(more throtle presure). have done several with good results.will have to find a edelbrock for my ranchero 292 .
charliemccraney
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 5 minutes ago
I only have experience with Edelbrock and newer Holleys (Street Avenger).  Of those, the Holley is my preference by far.  Both stay in tune but the Holley is far more responsive and easier to tune and more tuneable.  The Edelbrock is easy to tune as long as the change only requires metering jets but when it comes to actually changing the jets, the Holley is fast and easy, only 4 screws and a fuel fitting.  On the Edelbrock, it's a fuel fitting, 8-10 screws (don't remember exactly), a tiny clip for the accelerator pump that is easy to loose, and i think there is also a clip for the choke - by comparison, a major pita.

If you get an Edelbrock, spend the extra money on the AVS.  Edelbrocks without adjustable secondaries seem to work on most engines but it is a useful feature.  My non adjustable one did not work with my engine combination.  As a result, the days of combined, unsuccessful tweaking to try to get a flat spot out on that carb were overcome in only a few hours with the Holley.

Lawrenceville, GA
DryLakesRacer
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.2K reputation)Supercharged (4.2K reputation)Supercharged (4.2K reputation)Supercharged (4.2K reputation)Supercharged (4.2K reputation)Supercharged (4.2K reputation)Supercharged (4.2K reputation)Supercharged (4.2K reputation)Supercharged (4.2K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Talkwrench. Thanks for your write up. A couple of things missing at least for me. How long did you have each carb on the engine and which one gave you the best fuel milage? It would seem to me the 460 Holley with its small venturi's would be the one. One other question; is the 460 Holley you used what Holley calls their 465 cfm for off road like rock crawlers?
One test I would like to see is one showing the many throttle body EFI's now on the market mounted on a B, Thunder, or Mummert manifold.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
miker
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Dry lakes, I don't want to hijack the thread, but I've got an EFI on a BlueThunder. Pm me if you want details.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
DryLakesRacer
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.2K reputation)Supercharged (4.2K reputation)Supercharged (4.2K reputation)Supercharged (4.2K reputation)Supercharged (4.2K reputation)Supercharged (4.2K reputation)Supercharged (4.2K reputation)Supercharged (4.2K reputation)Supercharged (4.2K reputation)

Thanks miker! Tried to send message but told your full and need to delete some. Instead if u like email me at gmc6power@ EarthLink.net and if you can include some photos. Thank.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
paul2748
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)

Last Active: 9 hours ago
I have an Edelbrock 600 (don't remember the number but manual choke) on my 312 powered 54 and it ran good straight out of the box.  Had the same thing with another Edelbrock 600 on my mildly modified 302 in my 48 Ford (electric choke) which has been on the car about 15 years without an overhaul. I checked the plugs over the winter and they were great, nice tan color. 

On the 48, I had a couple of Holley's (both new) and it seems that I couldn't keep either one in tune.  That's when I went to an Edelbrock.  Never had a hesitation or flat spot with the Edelbrocks.

I usually don't keep track of mileage.

The funny thing is that I have 56 Bird, 312 with a Holley 4000.  This carb runs very good and I got 14MPG on a cross country trip (3.37's no overdrive 65 -70 MPH).  The only Holley that hasn't given me trouble.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

pegleg
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I tend to agree with Vic. Also found the Edelbrock extremely easy to understand and tune using the Edelbrock tuning book and their kits. I run one on the Red F code and it has been bulletproof so far. 1405 600cfm. 

Frank/Rebop

Bristol, In ( by Elkhart) 

Talkwrench
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
2721955 Meteor. I think I understand what you saying , but just cant see it working as you have to manually put it in first gear ? I ve never heard of this  - anyone else? .. If you can find the article by all means put it up so we can see..

Dry Lakes.. The Holleys have been on for a few years each the Edelbrock is only just recent. Fuel economy; the Holleys were the same to me, don't ask me to quote mpg I'd have no idea. I think I would expect slightly better from the Edelbrock by going on the vacuum gauge, time will tell.
Yes, I would have thought the smaller Holley would have been best that's why I had it made up for me.. It is a 450  list 4548  - 0509. Not part of the off road - marine set, well as far as I know unless Phil changed the breathers etc .. I would have thought they might have centre hung bowls too..I don't know?  I'd like to try one of the 500 Eddies, but of course I don't have one under my bench ; )

Charlie what has the Avenger series got that the old ones don't?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/02c74785-3ce2-4b80-a66c-f31f.jpg

"Came too close to dying to stop living now!"

Reading This Topic

Site Meter