Profile Picture

1957 Thunderbird 312 Y block

Posted By gwb523 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 8 Years Ago
I have a 1957 Thunderbird "D" I'm restoring.
I just found a 312 ECZ-6015-C Engine (Dot on crankshaft)
It has ECZ-C Heads and a ECZ-9425-A Intake manifold
I have a set of 5752-113 Heads and a ECZ-9425-B Intake manifold.
What's the best set up to use?  Should I get a set of ECZ-G cylinder heads?
paul2748
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Both the "C" heads and the "A" manifold are 56 parts.  The 113 heads and B manifold are better to use performance wise.  The 113 heads are not 57.

gwb523 (1/17/2016)
I have a 1957 Thunderbird "D" I'm restoring.
I just found a 312 ECZ-6015-C Engine (Dot on crankshaft)
It has ECZ-C Heads and a ECZ-9425-A Intake manifold
I have a set of 5752-113 Heads and a ECZ-9425-B Intake manifold.
What's the best set up to use?  Should I get a set of ECZ-G cylinder heads?

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

pegleg
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
The 113 heads are excellent heads, as good as the G's. They do have larger combustion chambers which will lower your static compression ratio. With today's gas That shouldn't be a problem. Youu could have them milled when you rebuild them to regain some of that. The B manifold is the best factory intake.

Frank/Rebop

Bristol, In ( by Elkhart) 

miker
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

I guess we should ask what kind of "restoration" you're doing. Looking for points at a CTCI judging, just a nice driver, or something in between. We're pretty understanding on this site, especially when it comes to the engine.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
NoShortcuts
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Welcome to the site.

Paul, Frank, and Miker are all giving you good information.  Our being clear on what you're 'efforting' to do is important.  IF you're setting out to do a technically 'correct' (purist) restoration we'll steer you away from using some parts that are not period correct.

IF you're more concerned about drive-ability, driving enjoyment, or improved performance, we may have some different suggestions.  Forum members respect the purists (numbers correct), the hobbyists, and the performance oriented.  Even for those concerned about being period correct, some of the improvements that can be made won't be detectable in competitive judging unless something is disassembled for a technical inspection!   Smile  

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
miker
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Frank won't know anything about what you have to do a tear down to spot. LOL

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
NoShortcuts
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

gwb523.  I think miker's comment about Frank refers to his '57 Ford Custom.  Frank got creative and put his car together as an 'F' code.  In working through a transformation like that, I suspect it can get confusing as to how the car was originally.  Too, instead of going everywhere under the sun to find some of the original '57 supercharger components, methinks he borrowed originals from others and went about having reproductions made.  What Frank knows about the foundry business has served his hobby interest well!  That said, the 'Bird aluminum thermostat housings I've gotten from Frank for use with 3x2 and 2x4 aluminum intakes have been pristine pieces with stainless steel water pump by-pass tubes.  Neat!    Wink

Going back about the Forum, the web site is focused on Ford Y-Block engines, but any questions related to 'things' using these engines are not out-of-bounds.  If you dig through the Archive of previous threads, you'll see information pertaining to transmissions, brakes, steering, suspension, body work, paint, boat applications, final drive ratios, tires... you name it!

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
gwb523
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
Thanks everyone.  It sounds like if I was going to put this in CTCI judging then I should find some ECZ-G heads but if not the 113 heads would be fine and I'll use the ECZ-9425-B intake manifold.
NoShortcuts
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

For concours judging purposes, yes, '57 'C', 'D', and 'E' code 'Birds came equipped with LARGE letter ECZ-G cylinder heads.  The point here is that there are two basic series of ECZ-G cylinder heads.  The casting letters are the same, but the letter size and font for the ECZ-G letters are easily told apart.

The two series were cast in different foundries and to my inspection while the combustion chambers appear to have been formed using the same sand cores, the sand cores used for shaping the intake and exhaust porting were quite different.

In casual outward appearance, both series of 'G' heads appear to be identical.  However, to anyone who knows 'Birds the casting letters are easily seen, easily told apart, and are looked for in determining originality.

As you get into this judging stuff, I THINK you'll find that later Ford replacement parts for original issue components will not cost you points.  IF that's true, in subsequent years the 5752-113 cylinder heads were listed as replacement heads for the ECZ-G units. 

Click the link below for a thread with pictures, description, and letter orientation information to help you in telling the large and small letter 'G' heads apart.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic113734.aspx#bm113748

In mentioning intake manifolds, yes, you want the '57 'B' style for your 312.  Interestingly, '57 Ford 312 engines came with the first year (new) Carter AFBs, Ford 4100 shoebox carburetors, or Holley 4150 series end bowl carburetors.  However, '57  'D' code 'Birds were only produced with the Holley 4150s.

Hope this helps.   Smile

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
Oldmics
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Charlie comments
"As you get into this judging stuff, I THINK you'll find that later Ford replacement parts for original issue components will not cost you points.  IF that's true, in subsequent years the 5752-113 cylinder heads were listed as replacement heads for the ECZ-G units. "
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
That's pretty much correct for all of the CTCI judged categories EXCEPT for Excellence in Authenticity .

The E in A judging requires all original items OR new items manufactured in original configuration (fit , finish , appearance ) and authorized by Ford. No service replacement parts are allowed.
I"ve seen Ford Service replacement parts that are job duty fulfilling but have cosmetic differences than the original items cause points to be lost during E in A judging competitions.
Oldmics

Reading This Topic

Site Meter