Profile Picture

Identifying G heads

Posted By '60 Fairlane 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 8 Years Ago
This is probably an easy question, but..., Anyway over the years I've heard of both large and small "G" heads. Having only seen one set of these heads in person the question is, is it a difference in the size of the cast in letter and how do you tell them apart? Thanks for educating me on this point.

I did try a search first, but the search function doesn't seem to like me. Thank you all again. -Dave.
NoShortcuts
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year

Well... I just tried to post a picture of each set of casting letters with no success.  One of those things I haven't mastered yet...   Crazy

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
'60 Fairlane
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)

Thanks for trying. I got a set of G heads with the 312 I bought a while back. Problem is they are badly pitted. One might be savable, haven't spent much time on them yet. This engine came with the early rounded top dual exhaust manifold, so I'm thinking this could be an early '57 engine. Is the date code system Ford used in the 50's the same as the date coding used in the 60's?

Just trying to learn what I can before going out to look for heads. -Dave.
charliemccraney
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
I see the pictures.

Lawrenceville, GA
'60 Fairlane
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Must be sunspots as I can see the pictures now too. About how much taller are the casting numbers on the large G heads compared to the small G heads? -Dave.
NoShortcuts
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

5/16 inch tall for the little casting letter 'G' heads
3/8 inch tall for the big casting letter 'G' heads

Notice the difference in orientation of the letters to the valve cover surface or the block deck surface with the two different versions...  One set of letters is upside down compared to the other. 

I've got a glitch in my computer.  Some times the pictures are viewable and sometimes they are not!  Hehe

Hope this helps, Dave.  I can't help with the date code stuff.

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
NoShortcuts
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

In a thread last month pertaining to 'G' heads, if you didn't see this, it may be of help to you in evaluating the heads you've got...

From John Mummert's web site:
Do to the thinness of the deck surface of some Y-Block cylinder heads, it is  recommended that unposted heads not be milled more than .025". Posted heads have been milled up to .045"without trouble.

If you need further clarification on this, don't hesitate to ask.  Smile

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
'60 Fairlane
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thank you Noshortcuts, I thought it was about a 1/16" difference, but I didn't catch the orientation till you pointed it out. I have seen John's info on milling the posted and non-posted heads. That's why I'm not sure if what I've got is savable. I will take another look at what I have, I think they are the early non-posted G's. Thanks again. -Dave.
'60 Fairlane
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Well I was wrong and not for the first time. Thought the heads I have were little G, but they are the large G. The only other numbers I found were D22 on one head and D23 on the other. These numbers were bellow the center two exhaust ports. This would be the date codes right? If so, they are still unposted correct? At least the pads still measure at 1", so maybe they are still savable.

Thanks again. This is a great place. -Dave.
NoShortcuts
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Tim McMaster has a helpful Internet posting on his web site that addresses the cylinder head 'posting' issue.  Click the Internet address below to view it.  While Tim has put this on the Internet, my understanding is that the pictures are from Ted Eaton.

http://yblockguy.com/techtips/postedheads.html

When you look at the picture of the cylinder head, it indicates with dashed circles where the 'posts' are located.  Using a flash light, look in the holes the white arrows point to and angle the light toward where the 'posts' are indicated to be.  IF the posts are there, you can't miss them.

Even IF the heads are not posted, unless they're really badly pitted, .025 will probably clean them up satisfactorily for use.  Your auto machine shop will be able to advise you on this.  With the composite-type cylinder head gaskets, I can't imagine your having a sealing problem.  The pitting in the cast iron (caused probably by out-of-doors condensation moisture eroding the metal) can be a source of  pre-ignition IF the pitting is severe...

In working on this 'old stuff', your machine shop may be glad to hear how thick the pads were when Ford produced the heads.

Hope this helps.  Smile  

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York

Reading This Topic

Site Meter