Profile Picture

B9AE Block Sonic Test

Posted By Cliff 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
This is my Dragster Block that I just testedhttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/fbb7943d-20a2-4d82-b201-d0ce.jpg
speedpro56
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Looks like a great block to use with excellent cylinder wall thickness.

-Gary Burnette-

Ted
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 5 days ago
Cliff.  I hate to nitpick but those sonic test numbers look abnormally ‘thick’ for a B9AE block.  Before boring the block based on those numbers, I’ll suggest double checking the calibration on the sonic test unit.  On my own testers, I check the calibration before each use.  In your case, it would be prudent to calibrate the tester against the same type of ‘iron’ used in the Ford cylinder walls.  I have a collection of various sections of cylinder walls from the different manufacturers of blocks and these all check differently if not readjusting the sonic tester calibration accordingly.  All these sections are machined with a step so that the ‘span’ on the tester can be accurately set and/or verified.

In your case, a quick double check would be to use a drill bit or feeler gauge between the cylinders walls as seen at the freeze plugs.  This would help to validate your readings.  If you can stick a 7/32” drill bit between the cylinders, then there’s a problem with the initial sonic test readings.  I have reposted your sheet with the calculated distances between the cylinder walls (based on your readings) that you can access from the outside of the block.  If you get actual measurements that are significantly greater than the calculated values, then you will know to recalibrate the sonic tester.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/77625c44-4745-449f-9f06-d5ea.jpg 
Let us know what you come up with as there have been some very thick blocks out there; I personally haven’t seen one of those being a B9AE block yet.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Cliff
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Hi Ted, I did calibrate the tester before testing, however I can insert a 7/32 drill between cylinders, tight on the left side loose on the right side I have a broken block here and will take and cut out a piece and check to see what's up, this block came out of a truck, also it has been acid dipped to clean out the rust, this is a B9AE-F Block
Cliff
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Ted your 100% correct, Measured a .330 piece from a block and my sonic checker showed .411 even after calibrating, so more work to do, thank you for correcting me.

Cliff

Cliff
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

New Test, this is going to 3.810http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/8a054f42-a0f4-405c-a816-698f.jpg
Ted
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 5 days ago
Cliff.  That block looks to be a good starting point.  Are you looking at using boost?

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Cliff
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Hi, no boost, 3.810 Bore, 3.60 Stroke, 6.370 rod, 13.48 comp, 280Deg @50, trend lifters in a 1500lb car (approx)
OlWeldinrig
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (185 reputation)Supercharged (185 reputation)Supercharged (185 reputation)Supercharged (185 reputation)Supercharged (185 reputation)Supercharged (185 reputation)Supercharged (185 reputation)Supercharged (185 reputation)Supercharged (185 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
How thin is too thin?I have 312 block I want to use which has a rough measurement of about .055 over.How much more can a guy Bore these blocks too safely?
Thanks Dave
PF Arcand
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Sounds like your 312" block is close to 0.060" over. That seems to be about the practicle limit. To go bigger the block should be sonic tested. Some builders have gone to 3.9"+  but that leaves thin walls & no room for a cleanup rebore. Factory available pistons only went to 0.040" over.

Paul

Reading This Topic

Site Meter