Profile Picture

B9AE Block Sonic Test

Posted By Cliff 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 3 days ago
56F250 (12/21/2015)

How thin is too thin? I have 312 block I want to use which has a rough measurement of about .055 over. How much more can a guy Bore these blocks too safely?
Thanks Dave 

Most 292/312 Y blocks will safely bore to 0.060” over their stock sizes; there are exceptions to this in that extreme core shift will limit even this amount.  If core shift is present and not compensated for up front, then the possibility is much higher for a cracked cylinder or cylinder wall distortion early on.  Upon sonic checking the cylinders and documenting the direction or location of core shift, then the cylinders can be offset bored so that the cylinder wall thicknesses around its perimeter will be more uniform.

My own preference is at least 0.125” for cylinder wall thicknesses on the thrust sides and a minimum of 0.095” between the cylinders (non-thrust sides).  The anticipated performance level will dictate to a large degree the minimum cylinder wall thickness amounts.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

OlWeldinrig
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (185 reputation)Supercharged (185 reputation)Supercharged (185 reputation)Supercharged (185 reputation)Supercharged (185 reputation)Supercharged (185 reputation)Supercharged (185 reputation)Supercharged (185 reputation)Supercharged (185 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Thanks Ted,
 We will check it out.And the same time Wow only an 8th of an inch.Thought you needed more meat than that.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter