Profile Picture

Fordomatic

Posted By Kahuna 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Are there any shift kits (heavy duty parts) available for the Fordomatic transmission?
Kahuna
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

OK, I know someone has some info on this? I'm gonna have to start ringing a bell
Rowen
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Mornin Jim, I have looked into that myself and have come up with zip, nada, not a thing! Thinking about going to an early T-10 in order to keep it as "period" correct a hot rod that I can. I know scruby was using them as early as 57. If you find something for the Ford-O plz, let me know. Rowen

Rowen
55CV
Woodland, Ca
Rowen
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Wow!! I didn't know that when you put "scruby" in, it automatically comes up "scrubby"! That's FUNNY!!!

Rowen
55CV
Woodland, Ca
Lou
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Last Active: Yesterday
The Ford-o-matic is the same trans as the Ford FMX
Kahuna
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Hey Lou
Why the name change?
Would that mean parts for an FMX are the same?

I see posts re changing the transmission to something newer.
Is that because they think newer stuff is better? Or because of
parts unavailability? Or a strength issue? I understand the O/D issue
My folks had 2 cars when I was a kid. A 55 & a 56, both w/Fordomatics.
I used to beat the hell out of those and never had any problems, so
there must be something I'm missing in regard to fixing them:
No more experienced repair people?
NoShortcuts
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Hmmmm...  There are some variations in the FordoMatics.

The FordoMatic units used in the '56 & '57 station wagons with 312 engines, the '56 and '57 Birds with 312s, and the '57 'E' and 'F' code 312 cars have a difference in the case that I'm told connotes their having an additional (a fifth) clutch pack.  Apparently, the standard FordoMatic units used only four clutch packs.  The read on the case difference is a threaded plug on the driver's side, adjacent to the pan and on the rear surface where the rear extension housing bolts on.  Standard Fordomatic units do not have this threaded plug on the back surface of the case.

The Ford parts manual lists quite a number of different ID tag numbers for '57 Fordomatics.  Some of this is attributable to the difference in the mechanical shift linkage for the 'Bird vs. the passenger car.  I've mentioned the clutch pack difference that I've read about somewhere.  I wonder if there was a difference in the valve body for the different applications like 6 cylinder, 272, 292, or 312s with single four barrels, 2x4s, and SC as well?

I don't know how much a Fordomatic weights all total, BUT they're H-E-A-V-Y! 

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
Kahuna
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

See, Charlie, the info is now starting to come out.
When I find the secret handshake/code word more info will flow.
Thanks
Jim
NoShortcuts
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I wish I could be of more help on this, Jim.  Automatic transmissions are a 'black box' to me.    Crazy

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
Lou
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Last Active: Yesterday
A FMX is a ford-0-matic that starts in first gear, yes FMX parts fit Ford-o-matic.
1951 ,52, 53 fordos had different gear ratio, than 54.55 , 51 to 55 are air cooled, 57 up are the better units, and a much better flex plate.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter