Fordomatic

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic117286.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Kahuna - 9 Years Ago
Are there any shift kits (heavy duty parts) available for the Fordomatic transmission?
By Kahuna - 9 Years Ago
OK, I know someone has some info on this? I'm gonna have to start ringing a bell
By Rowen - 9 Years Ago
Mornin Jim, I have looked into that myself and have come up with zip, nada, not a thing! Thinking about going to an early T-10 in order to keep it as "period" correct a hot rod that I can. I know scruby was using them as early as 57. If you find something for the Ford-O plz, let me know. Rowen
By Rowen - 9 Years Ago
Wow!! I didn't know that when you put "scruby" in, it automatically comes up "scrubby"! That's FUNNY!!!
By Lou - 9 Years Ago
The Ford-o-matic is the same trans as the Ford FMX
By Kahuna - 9 Years Ago
Hey Lou
Why the name change?
Would that mean parts for an FMX are the same?

I see posts re changing the transmission to something newer.
Is that because they think newer stuff is better? Or because of
parts unavailability? Or a strength issue? I understand the O/D issue
My folks had 2 cars when I was a kid. A 55 & a 56, both w/Fordomatics.
I used to beat the hell out of those and never had any problems, so
there must be something I'm missing in regard to fixing them:
No more experienced repair people?
By NoShortcuts - 9 Years Ago
Hmmmm...  There are some variations in the FordoMatics.

The FordoMatic units used in the '56 & '57 station wagons with 312 engines, the '56 and '57 Birds with 312s, and the '57 'E' and 'F' code 312 cars have a difference in the case that I'm told connotes their having an additional (a fifth) clutch pack.  Apparently, the standard FordoMatic units used only four clutch packs.  The read on the case difference is a threaded plug on the driver's side, adjacent to the pan and on the rear surface where the rear extension housing bolts on.  Standard Fordomatic units do not have this threaded plug on the back surface of the case.

The Ford parts manual lists quite a number of different ID tag numbers for '57 Fordomatics.  Some of this is attributable to the difference in the mechanical shift linkage for the 'Bird vs. the passenger car.  I've mentioned the clutch pack difference that I've read about somewhere.  I wonder if there was a difference in the valve body for the different applications like 6 cylinder, 272, 292, or 312s with single four barrels, 2x4s, and SC as well?

I don't know how much a Fordomatic weights all total, BUT they're H-E-A-V-Y! 
By Kahuna - 9 Years Ago
See, Charlie, the info is now starting to come out.
When I find the secret handshake/code word more info will flow.
Thanks
Jim
I wish I could be of more help on this, Jim.  Automatic transmissions are a 'black box' to me.    Crazy
By Lou - 9 Years Ago
A FMX is a ford-0-matic that starts in first gear, yes FMX parts fit Ford-o-matic.
1951 ,52, 53 fordos had different gear ratio, than 54.55 , 51 to 55 are air cooled, 57 up are the better units, and a much better flex plate.
By MoonShadow - 9 Years Ago
There used to be an article on swapping FMX parts with a Fordomatic. One of our members did it with pictures etc. Also, as I understand it the Fordo will start off in 1st gear if you step on it. Adjustment and the right linkage springs is the clue. Chuck
I got to digging...

Click the link below for an exhaustive article written by Bob Martin about Harry Hutten's first hand experience in building a bullet proof FMX unit for his very successful racing efforts in his y-block powered Merc.

This article is listed on the Y-Blocks Forever web site in the 'Articles' section.  It's very detailed for someone looking to do this themselves...
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/tech/html/fmx_upgrade.html

Hope this helps those who are interested.   Smile
By PF Arcand - 9 Years Ago
I believe that John the "Hoozier Hurricane" used a Fordo/FMX hybrid transmission. He has discussed it in the past. Unfortunately, he's no longer on this site. I understood some time ago, that he ran into major computor issues. Hopefully it's not a health issue..   
By MoonShadow - 9 Years Ago
Just saw Hoozier in Columbus and he's doing well. Problem was his (wife's) computer died. I don't think they were much into them in the first place. Chuck 
By Kahuna - 9 Years Ago
No short cuts:
They weigh 128# how's that
By Rono - 9 Years Ago
The Fordomatic is leaking pretty bad on the wife's 56 Ranch Wagon. It's on our "to-do" list along with the front suspension which we will be starting on next week. Already bought the rebuild kit for it. I knew these tranny's were heavy, but didn't know exactly how heavy (until now) and was trying to decide if I should pull the tranny with the car on jack stands using a floor jack with a trans cradle or use my friends lift (with my friend) and an adjustable transmission stand. I think the lift with the transmission stand is the better way to go. 
Rono