Profile Picture

Load-o-matic and teapot carb questions

Posted By mustangdude86 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (36 reputation)Normally aspirated (36 reputation)Normally aspirated (36 reputation)Normally aspirated (36 reputation)Normally aspirated (36 reputation)Normally aspirated (36 reputation)Normally aspirated (36 reputation)Normally aspirated (36 reputation)Normally aspirated (36 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 8 Years Ago
Hi guys,

I'm having difficulty finding definitive methods, or threads, to swapping out my 54 mercury 256 distributor to a 57+ if that's the way to go. I am also reading that I would need to modify the original carb after doing the distributor. I also think I remember hearing that the oil pump would need changed with the newer type distributor.

The end game here is to really get a more modern carb, maybe even efi from edelbrock, and a more modern dizzy. Links would be greatly appreciated to clear up some of the confusion.

Some side notes, if I get the dizzy swapped, can it be used with modern pointless, cap and rotor stuff? Also do they still make adapters to bolt on a modern carb to the existing intake? at some point I would like to get an aluminum intake for it that already accepts a modern carb. But I believe that the heads would need changed, along other things. Not in the realm of realistic right now.

Thanks in advance
Dobie
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Yes, you will need to modify the original carb to work with a late model dizzy. I'm not up on the details on that but I'm sure several others who have done it will chime in. You will not need to change the oil pump itself, but you may need to change the pump drive shaft if the distributor has the slot drive tangs. The later dizzies use a hex drive so you will need the corresponding O/P drive shaft. Also compare distributor gear tooth count with the original and swap 'em if needed. Pertronix and others make electronic conversions for either the Loadomatic or later dizzies in either 6 or 12v, although the 6v ones may be special order items. Carb adapters are available from Speedway Motors and other sources; I suggest you also get a phenolic spacer for the carb. It reduces fuel percolation and hard hot starting and gives a noticeable increase in low and mid range torque. Not sure if later heads will fit correctly, the 239 and 256 are different from later blocks in some areas. Someone here will have the specifics.
charliemccraney
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 56 minutes ago
You do not have to modify the carb.  The '57 up distributor is mechanical advance and therefore works with any carb.  The vacuum on the '57 up distributor is for economy so you can either leave it disconnected until you get the newer carb or you can tap into an existing manifold vacuum source, if there is one.

You may need to swap the distributor gear, and if it is currently the blade drive for the pump shaft, then you will need a hex shaft and oil pump to match the new distributor.

The newer distributor can be used with electronic ignitions.  A Duraspark cap and rotor fits, but is not absolutely necessary.

There are adapters for fitting almost any carb onto any intake.

Lawrenceville, GA
mustangdude86
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (36 reputation)Normally aspirated (36 reputation)Normally aspirated (36 reputation)Normally aspirated (36 reputation)Normally aspirated (36 reputation)Normally aspirated (36 reputation)Normally aspirated (36 reputation)Normally aspirated (36 reputation)Normally aspirated (36 reputation)

Thanks for the responses. So to clarify, if I swap in the newer distributor, it will work with the 54 carb?

I have the opportunity to buy a mostly complete 292 minus generator, carb, and starter. But I think it would simplify a lot of things swapping over to the 256. Kinda would like to keep the 256 but just "modernize" it as much as possible, since it still runs pretty good
charliemccraney
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 56 minutes ago
Correct, the new distributor will work with the '54 carb.  Just do not connect the distributors vacuum advance to the vacuum port used for the original distributor.  Either leave the vacuum advance disconnected until you get the new carb or find a manifold vacuum source for it.

Lawrenceville, GA
paul2748
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
If it was my choice, I would modify the carb to take advantage of the 57 and later distributor.  A very easy modification.  I did this on my 56

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Ted
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
Here’s the link to the Y-Block Magazine article that goes into detail on how to modify the Teapot 4V carb so that the distributor vacuum port at the carburetor is compatible with the ’57 and newer distributors.
http://www.eatonbalancing.com/blog/2013/03/02/modifying-the-holley-teapot-four-barrel-carb-for-late-model-distributors/

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

mustangdude86
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Ressurecting this year old thread....sorry guys. My priorities got side tracked.

I'd like to get this thing running reliably. I still think my best course of action would be to updated to 57 distributor and modern carb. The teapots choke is froze open so it takes some effort to get the thing running and stay running. Also its leaking gas which I hear they are notorious for.

Any idea what adapter I would need to buy from Speedway Motors to get a 4160 style modern carb on it? Any cfm suggestions?

Also I'm assuming I can't use the 54 distributor with a modern carb. Is that really as simple as using the old gear? I heard I might need to mess with the oil pump drive too.

If I had it my way, it would have a 302 in it. But its my dads car, and he likes the idea of the y.
DryLakesRacer
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
You can replace the distributor with a later year as described. If you don't want to go the adapter route and can find a Cad, Olds, 
Packard, Dodge, Plymouth, Carter WCFB small base 4 Barrel it will bolt right on and can use the vacuum advance of the 57-up distrib. There will be some linkage adjustments to be made but it's not to hard. It was the first thing I did to my 56-292. I used a 53 Cad Carb. Here are 2 photos.http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/bb8ec08a-43e9-41e3-80bc-d993.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/25768677-ef60-4a36-8ed7-f3bc.jpg

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
paul2748
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Reread the posts above.

To run the 57 Distributor:
Put 54 gear on the 57 distributor.  Change the oil pump to a 55 or later.  Use the 55 and up hex drive shaft for the oil pump.
Adapters for the later carb are available from Summitt, Jeggs and Speedway.  I don't have a part number. 

No, the 54 distributor will not work with the later carb.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Reading This Topic

Site Meter