Profile Picture

Load-o-matic and teapot carb questions

Posted By mustangdude86 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (36 reputation)Normally aspirated (36 reputation)Normally aspirated (36 reputation)Normally aspirated (36 reputation)Normally aspirated (36 reputation)Normally aspirated (36 reputation)Normally aspirated (36 reputation)Normally aspirated (36 reputation)Normally aspirated (36 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 8 Years Ago
Thanks for the replies and info.

As far as the distributor goes, is it worth adding that the car has been converted to 12 volt? Not sure if that effects anything.
oldcarmark
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Doesn't make a difference unless you are using Pertronix.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
mustangdude86
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (36 reputation)Normally aspirated (36 reputation)Normally aspirated (36 reputation)Normally aspirated (36 reputation)Normally aspirated (36 reputation)Normally aspirated (36 reputation)Normally aspirated (36 reputation)Normally aspirated (36 reputation)Normally aspirated (36 reputation)

I'm not sure I'm entirely familiar with that? Is that 12v vs 6v coil?
charliemccraney
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 3 hours ago
It does make a difference.

With 12v points ignition, a ballast resistor is needed.  With 6v, no resistor is needed.

Electronic ignition conversions are too varied to generalize.  Simply follow the instructions  for the 12v conversion you choose.

Lawrenceville, GA
oldcarmark
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
You are right Charlie. He will also need the 12 Volt Solenoid and wire a bypass to Coil for Starting. Otherwise the Ballast resistor will fry the first time it is started..

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
mustangdude86
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

See here's the thing, my dad had this thing converted to 12V almost 2 decades ago. So I haven't a clue as to what it's current state is.

My dad does remember the guy telling him something about it using some sort of tractor coil that uses 6V to start and 12V running. I could have that backwards, but it's something like that.

My plan was to go with the conversion that the guy at FBO systems does http://www.4secondsflat.com/Ford%20Y-Block%20Distributors.htm

My understanding is that they supply to coil needed after converting my distributor with the new parts. Keeping the original shaft so it plugs back in the original location and works fine.
mustangdude86
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

I've been hunting to find instructions on how to pull out my distributor to send it in for conversion with no luck. Any hints, ideas, recommendations on how to do this, and then reinstall it properly?

Reading This Topic

Site Meter