Profile Picture

292 pulley question

Posted By jeves 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Can someone help me identify these pulleys? What do I need to align them better? This is in a '56 f-250 and I suspect the fan originally bolted above the water pump. It looks like I need a deeper fan pulley - it's about 3/16 forward. Also, what is the wider V-groove for on the harmonic balancer? Can I use that with an OEM Eaton power steering pump? I have Mummert's alternator bracket which set the alternator pulley back about 1/4 inch. After taking the photo I was able to space the alt pulley forward to make pretty good alignment. Should the Mummert bracket be spaced away from the block, or is there something else wrong here? Thanks in advance... J

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/f6c445f7-8867-4280-994c-a996.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/6846747a-698a-4cbb-a833-3ce2.jpg

This is my first rebuild and you have been a great resource over the past couple years. Thanks!

~ JE

'56 F-250 with 292

Steve
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (88 reputation)Supercharged (88 reputation)Supercharged (88 reputation)Supercharged (88 reputation)Supercharged (88 reputation)Supercharged (88 reputation)Supercharged (88 reputation)Supercharged (88 reputation)Supercharged (88 reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago

I'm sorry I don't have a definitive answer to your pulley question.  Maybe a shorter water pump?
My real reason for responding is to share the (now 7 years ago) picture of the 292 in my F-100.
Look familiar?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/2db85eeb-4239-4e04-9961-c33d.jpg
jeves
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)

Thanks for sharing Steve! I'm debating the same move away from the downdraft tube. Did you use a baffled grommet to keep oil out out of the PCV valve? Mine will have ceramic headers in a couple days but I really like those horns now too. - J

~ JE

'56 F-250 with 292

Steve
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (88 reputation)Supercharged (88 reputation)Supercharged (88 reputation)Supercharged (88 reputation)Supercharged (88 reputation)Supercharged (88 reputation)Supercharged (88 reputation)Supercharged (88 reputation)Supercharged (88 reputation)

I welded a little shield on the underside of the valve cover to keep the oil out of the PCV.
I had to experiment with different valves to achieve a balance between what is a controlled vacuum leak and idle speed.
It idles down to about 600 RPM now which is fine for me.
I have since acquired a later valley cover with the PCV hole in the back, but never installed it.

I like your alternator bracket.  I cobbled mine together, but it works fine, and I'd not go back to a generator.
The voltage regulator on the fender is gutted since the alternator is internally regulated; I wired in a fuseable link in there instead.
The Edelbrock 500 carb has been very trouble free, and after I got the calibration kit, was able to dial it in the way I like it.

I'd be interested to see the headers installed too, and must say I think your color choices are superb! 
And by the way, I do think there is more than one choice with regard to the water pump shaft length...
pegleg
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
If you have access to a press, the flange on that pump can be moved to whatever dimension you wish. Don't need to buy another pump

Frank/Rebop

Bristol, In ( by Elkhart) 

2721955meteor
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
i would remove the pulley as preveously sujested but remove the pump and put apease of rod on the shaft its self so you dont move the impellor, i use alittle heat on the pulley hub as well.
charliemccraney
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
The water pump alignment baffles me, if that is a stock pulley.  There are water pump pulley spacers.  Make sure you don't have a spacer behind it and if not, do what the others say.  The alternator lines up perfectly with my stock single groove damper.  No spacers required.  If it turns out that you do need spacers, add them between the block and bracket and remove the one you installed from behind the pulley.  That way, if you ever need to replace the alternator, you can get a replacement off-the-shelf and use it as is..

Lawrenceville, GA
jeves
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Thanks guys. If I don't find a pulley that fits better I will try pushing the flange back with a press.

Steve, just got the headers today.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/3547cf2e-c407-477f-b959-3894.jpg

~ JE

'56 F-250 with 292

Steve
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/8031ea41-e52a-452d-ac63-bdeb.jpgR
This is my home-made alternator mount. Crude I realize.
Mine is a three wire, and I need to blip the throttle to get the BATT light to go out so it can charge.
Once it starts charging it behaves normally.  Something about the impedance of the BATT lamp ?
Great headers by the way.  Mufflers?

HT32BSX115
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
2721955meteor (3/17/2015)
i would remove the pulley as preveously sujested but remove the pump and put apease of rod on the shaft its self so you dont move the impellor, i use alittle heat on the pulley hub as well.

Howdy,    I think I would go in a different direction. 
Find yourself another pump and sell that "High-Mount" pump.  They're getting getting somewhat scarce (and valuable) as of late.

OTOH, it would be fairly easy to just press the flange a little further onto the shaft if it  will go any further......   I was able to press mine all the way off easily when I was using a different water pump pulley that I wanted to align with the outer pulley...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1955 F-600/272/E4OD// Disclaimer: No animals were injured while test driving my F-600 except the ones I ran over intentionally!

---------------------
This post was created using OpenSuSE Linux x64 and Firefox

Reading This Topic

Site Meter