Profile Picture

59 ford steering box.

Posted By pegleg 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
does anyone have a copy of the 59 Shop manual?  I need a copy of the section on rebuilding the steering box. I hate to buy a whole shop manual for just that section.  

Frank/Rebop

Bristol, In ( by Elkhart) 

Genuinerod
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)

There is some information on this site that may be helpful: http://www.stangerssite.com/adjustment.html
pegleg
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)

Thanks Gennie, very useful info.

Frank/Rebop

PF Arcand
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 7 Months Ago
Frank: you may find that a 1958 manual will be close, if you have access to one. That was the changeover year to the recirculating ball design. However, & it's a long story, that I won't go into in detail, the upper end turn signal/horn setup may not be exactly the same as a 1959, if that matters to you? Did you buy the entire 1959 column assembly?.. My conversion, box only, was from a 1958.  That led to problems converting my 1957 to the later horn arrangement.. but I believe that one of the parts I have is a 59 part?. Never did get the mess sorted out, so ended up with a auxiliary horn setup..  

Paul
pegleg
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Paul,
      I'd read your response earlier so I knew about the horn issue. I got a 59 box with the shaft, I guess the column was junk. The assembly does fit the 57 column pretty well (except for the horn). So I can convert the car to this box and work out the horn deal later.
    What I need now is the factory section on how to build and adjust in case the Torque settings are different and a parts source for bearings and seals. The box appears to be in really excellent shape with very little play, even at both extremes, and no play in the straight ahead position.   

Frank/Rebop

PF Arcand
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 7 Months Ago
Frank: Further, you might want to measure the 1959 shaft length, someone told me that it's not the same length as a 1957, but I can't confirm that.. Even the 58 box uses a slightly shorter outer cover, so my 57 cover had to be shortened slightly or the steering wheel would not seat. 

Paul
dbird
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I can't help with the Ford manual, but if you're interested in a copy from my old Motors manual, I'd be happy to scan it and send you the copy.  There is the better part of a page and a couple of illustrations on rebuilding and adjusting that box.

Don
pegleg
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Paul, thanks, 
I'll check it carefully before I try to install. Have a spare 57 shaft. 
  Don, yeah that's certainly help.  It's peglegrice@frontier.com.  No rush, still lookin' for parts for it.

Frank/Rebop

dbird
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
It's on it's way, I hope t helps.
Don
lowrider
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)

Last Active: 8 Months Ago
I'll second what Paul said about the 59 shaft length. I put a 59 steering box in my 57 and the steering column cover was too long. I was able to shorten it and it worked fine. I still have to address the horn issue. After looking for a "reasonable" priced ps unit I decided on the 59 box. The difference is like nite & day compared to the 57 box. Almost like having ps & keeps the engine compartment uncluttered.

Dan      Kingman Az.      86409

Reading This Topic

Site Meter