59 ford steering box.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic112257.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By pegleg - 9 Years Ago
does anyone have a copy of the 59 Shop manual?  I need a copy of the section on rebuilding the steering box. I hate to buy a whole shop manual for just that section.  
By Genuinerod - 9 Years Ago
There is some information on this site that may be helpful: http://www.stangerssite.com/adjustment.html
By pegleg - 9 Years Ago
Thanks Gennie, very useful info.
By PF Arcand - 9 Years Ago
Frank: you may find that a 1958 manual will be close, if you have access to one. That was the changeover year to the recirculating ball design. However, & it's a long story, that I won't go into in detail, the upper end turn signal/horn setup may not be exactly the same as a 1959, if that matters to you? Did you buy the entire 1959 column assembly?.. My conversion, box only, was from a 1958.  That led to problems converting my 1957 to the later horn arrangement.. but I believe that one of the parts I have is a 59 part?. Never did get the mess sorted out, so ended up with a auxiliary horn setup..  
By pegleg - 9 Years Ago
Paul,
      I'd read your response earlier so I knew about the horn issue. I got a 59 box with the shaft, I guess the column was junk. The assembly does fit the 57 column pretty well (except for the horn). So I can convert the car to this box and work out the horn deal later.
    What I need now is the factory section on how to build and adjust in case the Torque settings are different and a parts source for bearings and seals. The box appears to be in really excellent shape with very little play, even at both extremes, and no play in the straight ahead position.   
Frank: Further, you might want to measure the 1959 shaft length, someone told me that it's not the same length as a 1957, but I can't confirm that.. Even the 58 box uses a slightly shorter outer cover, so my 57 cover had to be shortened slightly or the steering wheel would not seat. 
By dbird - 9 Years Ago
I can't help with the Ford manual, but if you're interested in a copy from my old Motors manual, I'd be happy to scan it and send you the copy.  There is the better part of a page and a couple of illustrations on rebuilding and adjusting that box.

Don
By pegleg - 9 Years Ago
Paul, thanks, 
I'll check it carefully before I try to install. Have a spare 57 shaft. 
  Don, yeah that's certainly help.  It's peglegrice@frontier.com.  No rush, still lookin' for parts for it.
By dbird - 9 Years Ago
It's on it's way, I hope t helps.
Don
By lowrider - 9 Years Ago
I'll second what Paul said about the 59 shaft length. I put a 59 steering box in my 57 and the steering column cover was too long. I was able to shorten it and it worked fine. I still have to address the horn issue. After looking for a "reasonable" priced ps unit I decided on the 59 box. The difference is like nite & day compared to the 57 box. Almost like having ps & keeps the engine compartment uncluttered.
By pegleg - 9 Years Ago
Thank you gentlemen. I think I have something to work from now. 
Dan: re an auxiiary horn.. I was concerned about not being able to use the proper setup. So, a temporary horn that is fairly convenient & fairly quickly available, is to run a horn feed wire up the left kick panel area & tuck it in near the door opening trim edging, near what I'll call the "knee knocker" area. Bought a cheap small black horn button like used, say on a boat. Fastened it to an existing trim screw. It acts as a ground to complete the circuit. It's close enough that in an emergency, I can just slap it with my left hand.. Not ideal, but more accessible say, than reaching down under the dash in a close encounter, and it's not really noticeable ....        
By pegleg - 9 Years Ago
My wife's '05 Dodge uses a large coil spring to carry juice to the rotating part of the steering wheel. There is no other connection. Might be a solution there.
By kevink1955 - 9 Years Ago
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/d5e75c03-d96a-4421-bccc-52c7.jpg
I do not know what I am doing wrong but here is a few photos how I handled the Horn on my 56 Fairlane. I am doing an Electric Power Steering install (more on that to follow)
I can only get I photo to post at a time, the one before this test is the bottom of the steering wheel drilled do that the original shaft tube contact projects out the bottom.
Next is the top if the wheel with another shaft contact sticking out of the shaft connected to the bottom contact with a wire, the wire must be threaded thru the horn ring spring so it does not get pinched under the springhttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/3d415aa0-32c6-4557-a5bf-cf85.jpg
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/2804c700-c06e-49ad-947f-d020.jpgNext is a photo of the column contact, it's made of a 3" PVC pipe cap cut and ground down to fit in the column cup. A 28 ga copper sheet cut round and epoxyed to the PVC for the horn contact in the wheel to rotate on,
Bottom side of the column contact, note the tab sticking thru from above for the wire to run to the horn relay.http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/58fa5327-2f10-412d-9afb-d8c4.jpg
The whole works installed in the column. Mod, if you can merge this mess please do sohttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/a1d1fd47-40fc-4c78-80e5-9cd9.jpg
By pegleg - 9 Years Ago
Clever ! that should work.

Installed the Horn Brush Mod over the weekend, works fine but I think I need to find a carbon brush for the under wheel brush. I used a 56 ford shaft contact in both locations but the contact end is brass, it makes some noise when you rotate the wheel and it rubs on the contact collector ring. I expect this will wear out either the brush or the copper collector.

I will look at it next week when I finish the wiring for the Electric Power Steering I am installing, I have tested it with temp wiring and I can rotate the steering wheel with 1 strong finger with the tires on a concrete floor, A great improvement from the "Steering by Armstrong" (manual) that I used to have, and guess what Ma, no fluid to leak.

Will do a write up in the EPS install when it's done. Hope I figure out how to post multiple photos by then.

By pegleg - 9 Years Ago
We'll be waiting for the electric power steering article. Been curious about that for a while.
An aside on the subject of power steering. I can always spot a driver who have never driven manual steering..they're moving the car say out of a parking spot..each move of the wheel is only done when the car is stopped. Sure, it's real easy at the steering wheel end,.. but it's not easy on the steering assembly at the road end!  Let's say 1500 lbs at the front end, on two pieces of rubber digging into dry asphalt. I figure front end shops likely would recommend driving like that. It probably helps keep them in business..