Profile Picture

Family trip to the USA

Posted By ian57tbird 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 days ago
 photo IMG_0308_zpsb8d32c22.jpg
Hi guys
Thought it would be good to share our trip around the USA on the forum.

We started four weeks ago driving down to San Diego with the rental and proceeded to look for a trailer and a truck to pull it. It took me over two weeks to find a truck and trailer and another 5 days to check and fix things to get ready for the trip so hopefully to not have any breakdowns. Yes I know it is a Chevy pulling it, but I've had a good run with them in the past. The plan was to get started a week earlier but pickings were very slim.

Our first stop was Joshua Tree NP. After crossing into Arizona we had a tire go with tread separation so at the next main town we got a couple of new tires for the rear. After getting everything sorted we went to Jerome an historic mining town then up to Grand Canyon later that day. A couple of days later we went to Canyon De Chelley and we just arrived today in Albuquerque NM. In a few days we will be heading to Santa Fe.
Hopefully will give an update next time I have time to stop in at Starbucks for the internet.

Ian.

rick55
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (658 reputation)Supercharged (658 reputation)Supercharged (658 reputation)Supercharged (658 reputation)Supercharged (658 reputation)Supercharged (658 reputation)Supercharged (658 reputation)Supercharged (658 reputation)Supercharged (658 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Good stuff, Ian. Hope you're enjoying yourselves. Rob is in California at the moment as well, I think.

Rick - West Australia
Do Y Blocks Downunder run upside down? Gravity Sucks!!
MoonShadow
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)

Last Active: 11 hours ago
Ian,
I doubt if you will get as far east as New Hampshire but if you do let me know. I will be heading to the Bonneville salt flats the first week in August for speedweek. There will be several of our Y-Block land speed record friends there for the week so if you're still around it would be a great stop both to meet people and enjoy some races. Chuck

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
ian57tbird
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Hey Rick, I think Rob should be in San Diego now, the week after we left there.

Chuck we wont be making it all the way over to New Hampshire, there's just not enough time to go everywhere. We originally planned to go to Georgia and South Carolina way as well but it doesn't look like we can get that far east as we got started later than I was originally hoping to. We're hoping to get about as far as Chicago in two to three weeks then we will be heading back west to time it for Hot August Nights in Reno. After Reno we'll be up to Washington to visit my aunt. It would be great to visit Bonneville but it probably will have to be on another visit.

ian57tbird
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

We spent the 4th of July in Santa Fe and went to see the big fireworks display that was held at the Santa Fe high school. The local Walmart was our accommodation for the evening, nice and quiet at that particular one and comes highly recommended. Walmarts also come at a great price, FREE.

We are just near the boarder of Texas this morning and spent the night at Russels travel center truckstop that has a fantastic 50's style diner that is well worth a look. Heading to Amarillo in the big state Texas today. 
Rono
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Last Active: 7 Months Ago
Ian;

You are really making the rounds. GREAT looking RV to tour the States in. I just got out wireless modem unpacked today so I am now back on line in our new place in Bishop. It's been really hot here, but probably not any hotter than where you are in Texas. Safe travels my friend and if I can connect with you at Hot August nights I will.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

ian57tbird
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

After I did the last post I went back into the truck stop and there was a free car museum open that was closed the night before. It had a quite a few special cars and an amazing collection of memorabilia. Russel's travel center truck stop is a must see if you are travelling on the I-40. I was going to post some more photos of the museum but the wireless where we are is hopelessly slow.

photo IMG_0352_zpsa68f80e6.jpg
 photo IMG_0359_zpsf73d8361.jpg

The bad news is later that morning the car stopped on the I-40 heading towards Amarillo. I had to get it towed to an RV park and I think it is the fuel pump that is not working. The relay in the fuse block is still clicking when the ignition goes on but the pump is not making any noise at all. Worse still there is 15-20 gallons in the tank and no access panel above the tank so the tank has to be dropped and I'm not allowed to work on it in the RV park.
ian57tbird
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

photo IMG_0357_zpsa4fd9c1d.jpg photo IMG_0353_zps5147ba79.jpg photo IMG_0351_zps7fce2990.jpg
Some more images from the truck stop,
lyonroad
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Sorry to hear about your tow vehicle Ian. A few years ago a lot of people were having fuel pump issues in their RV's.  Seems the pumps were over-heating on long trips when the fuel levels were low.  A lot of guys now fill up before the gauge gets to the 1/4 mark.  Hope you're back on the road soon.  Dead RV's are no fun at all.

Mark

1956 Mercury M100
1955 Ford Fairlane Club Sedan
Delta, British Columbia
GREENBIRD56
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
Ian - hope your pump probs get settled soon! I've had the same troubles with an outfit of my own - not fun.

On the trip from Salt lake across toward Reno - you will drive right past the "Bonneville Salt Flats International Raceway" exit. Even if you miss the speed trials date - its worth getting your picture taken with the BLM sign! About three clicks north of the freeway...............

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9ea2bf28-00c4-4772-9ac7-d154.jpg 
 Steve Metzger       Tucson, Arizona

Reading This Topic

Site Meter