Profile Picture

Oil pickup tube mod.

Posted By sd56effie 12 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (23 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (23 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (23 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (23 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (23 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (23 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (23 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (23 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (23 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 11 Years Ago
Hey guys so Im just abound done modifying my oil pan to clear my rack and cross member. Now its time to drop my oil pickup tube about two inches. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any idea's about how to do it? thanks in advance.

Dustin

1956 F-100 in the works.
MoonShadow
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
Maybe just find some tubing that will slip over the existing pickup tube cut a new section long enough to lower the pickup the 2" and over lap at each end and weld, or solder, it in. Thats my 3cents. Chuck

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
slumlord444
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
I braized mine when I had to repair it years back when the original engine put a rod through the side of the block and took out the pan and the pick up tube. May have used a copper pipe union as I recall.
lyonroad
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
My first oil pan had a mangled oil tube and I found out that the tube is almost exactly the same size as regular copper pipe. Maybe you can use a couple of couplers and a piece of copper pipe. You might consider silver solder. That is what was recommended to me. As I recall there isn't much straight tube in the down piece that you need to extend. Perhaps you can get a chunk of the soft copper tube and pre bend a slight curve before you install it. In my case I found another pan with a good tube so I never did try to fix the wrecked one.

Mark

1956 Mercury M100
1955 Ford Fairlane Club Sedan
Delta, British Columbia
sd56effie
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (23 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (23 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (23 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (23 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (23 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (23 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (23 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (23 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (23 reputation)

Last Active: 11 Years Ago
thanks for the advice guys, i ended up using a piece of 1/16 wall 3/4 pipe. cut about two inches off the pipe and cut the pick up tube just above the pickup element. welded it and its done. here are a few pics

1956 F-100 in the works.
Ted
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago

Here are pics of a couple more options for hooking up the oil pump inlet tube to the sump.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter