Oil pickup tube mod.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic70473.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By sd56effie - 12 Years Ago
Hey guys so Im just abound done modifying my oil pan to clear my rack and cross member. Now its time to drop my oil pickup tube about two inches. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any idea's about how to do it? thanks in advance.

Dustin
By MoonShadow - 12 Years Ago
Maybe just find some tubing that will slip over the existing pickup tube cut a new section long enough to lower the pickup the 2" and over lap at each end and weld, or solder, it in. Thats my 3cents. Chuck
By slumlord444 - 12 Years Ago
I braized mine when I had to repair it years back when the original engine put a rod through the side of the block and took out the pan and the pick up tube. May have used a copper pipe union as I recall.
By lyonroad - 12 Years Ago
My first oil pan had a mangled oil tube and I found out that the tube is almost exactly the same size as regular copper pipe. Maybe you can use a couple of couplers and a piece of copper pipe. You might consider silver solder. That is what was recommended to me. As I recall there isn't much straight tube in the down piece that you need to extend. Perhaps you can get a chunk of the soft copper tube and pre bend a slight curve before you install it. In my case I found another pan with a good tube so I never did try to fix the wrecked one.
By sd56effie - 12 Years Ago
thanks for the advice guys, i ended up using a piece of 1/16 wall 3/4 pipe. cut about two inches off the pipe and cut the pick up tube just above the pickup element. welded it and its done. here are a few pics

By Ted - 12 Years Ago

Here are pics of a couple more options for hooking up the oil pump inlet tube to the sump.