Profile Picture

New Guy.

Posted By mustang6147 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Welcome Mike, around here we generally LOVE old Fords AND the YBlock. Let us know where you're from might be someone nearby to help too. If you want you can list it in your profile.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/d8028aa4-f8f9-4981-9e51-4428.jpg
       A  L  A  N   F  R  A  K  E  S   ~  Tulsa, OK    

Rono
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Last Active: 7 Months Ago
Welcome to the site Mike and enjoy your project!!

Rono

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

mctim64
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Welcome from central California.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/b1f2e0d6-2566-46b3-b81d-3ff3.jpg   God Bless. Smile  Tim                           http://yblockguy.com/

350ci Y-Block FED "Elwood", 301ci Y-Block Unibody LSR "Jake", 312ci Y-Block '58 F-100, 338ci Y-Block powered Model A Tudor

tim@yblockguy.com  Visalia, California    Just west of the Sequoias

Canadian Hot Rodder
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Welcome Mike,

I just want to let you know that for reliability, these engines I feel are second to none!!! People who know me tell me that they haven't built a car that I can't break! Well this is true, but I have to say I have been driving, racing, thrashing on my Y-Block for 13 years now and it has never let me down! I have broken other parts on the car, including snapping the 9" housing! (that should give you some indication on how hard I drive it!)
Well to make a long story short, in those 13 years of thrashing, I have never had the heads off my motor or replaced a major component of the engine, other than the carb and distributor, and that was to increase performance, not due to trouble. I don't even know how many miles are on my motor!!! So other than burning a little bit of oil, you can be sure to enjoy your Y-Block for a LONG time! Welcome to the brother hood!!! BigGrinBigGrinBigGrinBigGrin

I love the smell of burning rubber in the morning!

Talkwrench
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Welcome Mike. Looks like you going to have some fun with your project. Im still newish to Y-blocks when my Fairlane arrived here in Australia from California I drove it home from the freight yard about 40 mins from home and about 15 mins from home on the fwy I thought she was going to die.. smoke, smell, I limped home. With the help of Rick [Rick55] our club pres guru of all things Ford and Y-block gave me the run down and we tested , sure enough no oil to the rockers. He gave me a PCV setup to use, I cleaned the sump and oil strainer , flushed it out several times unblocked the rockers etc. Since then I have fitted a 450 Holley [my spec] on a port matched B manifold, new dissy with pertronix igntor 3 [my spec] , new cooling system etc etc I have to tell you I use the car about every three weeks and it runs like a clock, pulls like a train, hammers down the freeway no problems , no smoke , nothing, despite half the valve seals missing!! The only thing you may have to get used to is oil leaks, seems to be hit n miss with the ol' Y-block rear main. Remember it only marking its territory!

Good luck with it.

Rob

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/02c74785-3ce2-4b80-a66c-f31f.jpg

"Came too close to dying to stop living now!"
glrbird
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
What type of 4 speed is it, passeger car or truck? Good project.

Gary Ryan San Antonio.TX.

mustang6147
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)

Last Active: 10 Years Ago
I am happy overall. My truck arrived today. It has a 292 Y Block and a 4 speed tranny. http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/09a25614-3d0b-4b75-9f9e-2829.JPG
Ted
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 1 hour ago
mustang6147 (2/15/2014)
...I bought my first Y blocked vehicle. Its a 1959 F100 short bed.

How great / reliable is this engine? I read about upgrades, and evolution if you will old technology to new.

Any carburation issues from stacked runners?...

I could not find an introduction area.

Mike, Welcome to the site. Introductions typically take place in the This-N-That section so I’ve taken the liberty in moving your post to there. The stacked intake runner design helps to keep the intake tracts more equal in length which in turn helps for higher torque numbers throughout the rpm band. Another benefit to the stacked runner design is the plenum floor being equal under both sides of the carburetor which also makes for a smoother idle and an increase in the overall torque values.

The Y-Block engine was initially over engineered in the oil pump department which helps to explain why these engines are so robust even when the oil pressure is minimal. The priority oiling to the mains is also an area that is beneficial to overall bearing life. The engine was originally designed to use the just introduced multi-viscosity oils that came out in 1954 but the use of paraffin based single weight oils proved to be problematic in stopping up the oil galleries to the top end of the engine. With today’s oils and regular oil changes, the engines do quite well and will last as long as any of the engines now available and especially when these older engines are retrofitted with fuel injection. There were many features originally designed into this engine that ended up being eliminated on later engine designs due to cost cutting measures but many of those features have eventually made their way back into the latest oem offerings (ie. Ford Coyote 5.0L engine).

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

mustang6147
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)

Last Active: 10 Years Ago
I thought I might introduce myself. I bought my first Y blocked vehicle. Its a 1959 F100 short bed.

Its got a 292, and I am told it has a 4 speed. I think 3, but I take delivery in the morning. I know WIndsors from 289 to 351. I also know SBC. I have raced both. I also know the 230 flathead 6. I realize the internal combustion engine is what it is, but am pretty excited to get a Y-Block. I knew nothing about this engine, until this week. Stacked runners, Rocker arm oil issues perhaps, and tappets that go in from underneath.... Low RPM TQ and they are supposed to have a great sound.

How great / reliable is this engine? I read about upgrades, and evolution if you will old technology to new.

Any carburation issues from stacked runners? I understand the 59 was the last year for the big valves, and the heads can flow... I have no intention on racing this, just a reliable driver, and a good sound while doing an occasional burn out..

I could not find an introduction area

Mike

Reading This Topic

Site Meter