Profile Picture

Timing Chain Oiling

Posted By The Horvaths 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 10 Years Ago
I have my B9AE 292 block almost ready to go. I was sealing up the timing cover and triple-checked. There is no hole in the block to allow the little folded sheet metal oil diverter to direct oil to the chain. This block came from a '59 Falcon. So, two questions.
Did Ford decide, at some point, to eliminate these?
Do I really need one? I'm using a roller chain from John Mummert.
Thanks in advance.
Jeremy
NoShortcuts
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year

My understanding is that FoMoCo stopped using the oil trough the end of the ’56 model year, Jeremy. I’m adding them to two later engine blocks I’m working on.

Tim McMaster has recommended doing a modification to assure adequate oil to the timing gears and chain. Tim’s web site is at yblockguy.com

On the web page that opens, at the top of the page, between the running engine and the picture of Tim and one of his trucks, is a series of headings. Toggle the seventh topic from the top, ‘Tech Tips’.

On the Y-Block Guy Tech Tips page that opens, the 7tharticle from the top is titled, ‘Oiling Modifications for Y-Block V-8 Timing Chain’.

I’m doing this modification to my blocks.

Regards,

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
The Horvaths
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)

I know of what you type. I didn't catch this until the block was machined and assembled. I'm seriously shy of drilling and tapping the block now because of contamination fears. I was hoping that it was a Ford's Better Idea and not a Friday night factory oversight. I had trouble finding out if/when it was deleted from the Y.
Thank you for the answer. I'll sleep on what to do about it. I've toyed with the idea of pressing a tube into the block's valley overflow hole to carry oil further out towards the chain.
slick56
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

NoShortcuts (1/22/2014)

Tim McMaster has recommended doing a modification to assure adequate oil to the timing gears and chain. Tim’s web site is at yblockguy.com

I’m doing this modification to my blocks.

Regards,

I emailed Tim a week ago about the same thing, here is is reply;

If you are using a true roller chain the extra oil is un-necessary. Only helps a link chain.
Tim

South Australia

The Horvaths
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks to you both. I think I'll let it go as-is. I do have the crankshaft oil slinger installed and I polished the fuel pump eccentric to a true mirror shine. I'll smooth the fuel pump lever too. For start-up, everything has been given ptfe-bearing oil, regular oil, lithium grease, or moly grease, as is appropriate.
NoShortcuts
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Hmmmm.... Glad that you asked the question, Jeremy.

Slick, thanks for the info from Tim.

The information sharing here is great.

Ford made an awful lot of y-blocks in the U.S. between '57 and '64 without including the oil trough divert-er.

All-out performance, competition use engines benefit from some of these tweaks.

I'm assembling street and highway cruisers... but get excessive in my approach to it all. Smile

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
jrw429
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (176 reputation)Supercharged (176 reputation)Supercharged (176 reputation)Supercharged (176 reputation)Supercharged (176 reputation)Supercharged (176 reputation)Supercharged (176 reputation)Supercharged (176 reputation)Supercharged (176 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
This block came from a '59 Falcon.

Can you elaborate? I thought the Falcon was introduced for the 1960 model year.

Jim - Erie Colorado, 1957 Country Sedan
The Horvaths
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Good catch! To explain:
The elderly gentleman who sold it to a scrapper(!) that I bought it from told said scrapper that it was from a '59 Falcon. Go figure! Well, I learned something new today. Thank you.

Possibly a Fairlane?
NoShortcuts
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

People sometimes get confused, Jeremy. Many things can bring this on, including their having worked in a junk yard too long…

Unless the vehicle you were told about was some unrecorded factory prototype, Ford Falcons and Mercury Comets were first marketed for the 1960 model year and came from the factory with a 144 cubic inch 6 cylinder engine.

You’re not the first guy to have been given 'interesting' information at a junk yard. Smile

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
The Horvaths
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I did verify that I got a B9AE block and -113 heads in the lot. Best $120.00 I've spent in a while.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter