Profile Picture

is there a rebuild kit for mechanical fuel pumps?

Posted By texasmark1 11 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
the kind with no glass bowl, two vents on top for vacuum wipers...

the two little diaphrams in mine have failed and the rubber is coming apart...

so rebuild or just put on a new one...?

ideas?

thanks,Mark

"God Bless Texas"location: Houston,TX
ian57tbird
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I've not seen a rebuild kit available for them. My car came with a new spare pump but it was not working when I tried it. Ends up the fuel diaphragm wasn't hooked properly onto the arm. It took a couple of goes to work out the trick on how to get both diaphragms hooked on together without one dropping off, much harder than a single diaphragm pump. Maybe too many people couldn't get it wright, and new pumps are cheap as well.
The Horvaths
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)

Last Active: 10 Years Ago
If it is earlier than the (stinking) crimped style, which were not intended to be serviceable, they may be had from these folks:
http://www.maritimedragracing.com/then_and_now_automotive.htm

I have bought from them and the part quality was superb. I highly recommend them. The kits are alcohol resistant and the valve inserts are built to last. They will want to know the list number. On yours it is probably stamped into the edge of the mounting flange. My guess is that you have an AC 4206 fuel pump. If so, you need kit #FPA-228. My last purchase of this kit was $69.50 + $8.50 shipping. It is possible to mount a glass bowl on the newer "all metal" version of the AC 4206.

Mating up the diaphragms isn't so hard. The one just hooks on and the other starts 90 degrees rotated from the final position and is then spun to the right orientation to lock it into place.
These kits do come with instructions that are pretty good but be sure to write notes or take pictures so that you replace each valve in the right orientation. Once they go in, they won't come back out without a fight!

Reading This Topic

Site Meter