Profile Picture

'57 gauges both read low: Ignition Switch !!!

Posted By StillOutThere 11 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 10 Years Ago
Bear with my explanation and find a difficult problem.
I bought a '57 Ranchero a few months ago and the temp gauge read comfortably low but the fuel gauge was showing about half what I was putting in the tank. Then my turn signals stopped working at the same time my ignition switch required a bit of push in or pull out while turning to "start".

Did figure the original switch was going bad and ordered up a new Motorcraft. Went to install it and low and behold the existing switch looked nearly brand new BUT WAS FALLING APART. Someone had put in some cheap foreign switch and the manufacturer failed to adequately crimp the four metal tabs. It literally fell apart in my hands.

Motorcraft switch installed. Gauges read properly, turn signals work. They are powered through the ignition switch

Moral of story: Please buy American made stuff, especially electronics, whenever you can
oldcarmark
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
That's why its good to pickup NOS or NORS American made parts when you see them.More and more replacement parts are being made offshore and the quality is just not as good in many cases.We have had this discussion before.Dennis Carpenter is a good example.More of his "repro's" are being made offshore because of the labour cost but they are NOT as good quality wise.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
The Master Cylinder
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Unfortunately it isn't going to get any better... Today I stopped off at Sears to get a 1/2" combo wrench to replace one of mine that is "missing" (Dang Grandson, haha. It'll turn up). To my surprise the wrenches 'Looked different', the open end was much bigger, physically. Yep, Hecho en China. Made up with bulk instead of using good metal for strength. I left without the wrench. I'll use my 13mm Snap-On until I get either a Snap-On or Proto 1/2". Or maybe a used Craftsman on ebay. When it comes to tools I refuse to buy JUNK. End of RANT...

http://www.y-blocksforever.com/forums/Uploads/Images/af13a279-385d-4926-92f2-349a.jpg"The Master Cylinder"

Enjoying life at the beach in SOCAL Smooooth

oldcarmark
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
The Chinese are taking over.EVERYTHING you look at these days that requires any kind of labour to make is sourced from China(or so it seems).And as mentioned I don't think the quality is there.How do you know this stuff has to pass any kind of quality control inspection?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
vntgtrk
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)

Last Active: 10 Years Ago
Master Cylinder, while I agree the Craftsman tools are now Crapsman, I needed a 1/2 wrench for my going to the junk yard tool box. I got Performance brand. Durn good quality!! I've been slowly replacing my Pull and Save tools with Performance tools. Cheap and good quality (now if I could only find a woman like dat.....).
My main tools are Snapon but I don't wish to lose them at the junque yard.
The Master Cylinder
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
vntgtrk (12/8/2013)
Master Cylinder, while I agree the Craftsman tools are now Crapsman, I needed a 1/2 wrench for my going to the junk yard tool box. I got Performance brand. Durn good quality!! I've been slowly replacing my Pull and Save tools with Performance tools. Cheap and good quality (now if I could only find a woman like dat.....). My main tools are Snapon but I don't wish to lose them at the junque yard.

Thanks, I'll check them out. I did get the Craftsman tools I needed off of ebay, New, Hecho en USA.

And of course the "missing" wrench turned up AFTER I purchased a new one.

http://www.y-blocksforever.com/forums/Uploads/Images/af13a279-385d-4926-92f2-349a.jpg"The Master Cylinder"

Enjoying life at the beach in SOCAL Smooooth

charliemccraney
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
I always make an effort to find stuff that is made in the USA. Much of the time, I find what I'm looking for. Guess what? It's usually not more expensive than the Chinese stuff and if it is, it's because the quality far exceeds the Chinese product. I've found the whole American made is more expensive claim to be a myth in most cases. Now, certainly, the companies producing the parts get a boost to their bottom line, but the consumer doesn't pay any more and, yes, there will be exceptions to this.
Next time you need something, anything, see if you can find it made in the USA. You may be surprised at just what is available. You may not be able to walk up the road and buy it, but it's probably out there.

Lawrenceville, GA
MoonShadow
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

I too always will defer to made in America when possible. But, having said that the future is not going to recognize these cultural boundaries. The internet is making our world smaller every day and out sourcing is becoming the smart market strategy for many companies. At this time many try to hide behind "assembled in the US" or "We are an American company" statements. In fact they do much of the labor intensive work off shore. Considering the low wages in these countries it can make sense.
There are companies, even in China, that manufacture products of extreme high quality and tolerances. One of the keys is almost constant monitoring and supervision by company employee's. In the very near future "American made" is going to start to apply to art and crafts items more than anything else.
I am not blindly supportive of this but I see it as inevitable. Have you seen the fancy, embroidered all over (including the brim) that are around in racing today? The overall embroidery work first started coming in from, wait for it, VietNam! And some darn nice work too. Thats just my feelings on the matter, I'm sure you all will have yours. Chuck

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
charliemccraney
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
I agree with that. My problem isn't so much where it's being made, but the drop in quality, without a drop in price to the consumer. The craftsman tools are an excellent example of this. That said, as long as American made is available and is equivalent or better quality, that's what I will buy.
Quality does come out of China. Many OEMs have parts made there.
I also don't believe that China and the many other countries will remain cheap forever. Human rights, pay equality, pollution and the disasters that will occur as a result, all of that will catch up to them. With how quickly information spreads, the workers can see what it's like in other parts of the world and start demanding what they deserve. We've already seen this. I think good stuff will eventually come from all over but because of that it will just make sense to get stuff locally, back in the USA, or whatever country it may be by then.

Lawrenceville, GA
slumlord444
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

My source for individual replacement wrenches, sockets, etc. is swap meets and flea markets. You can get the old American made stuff at reasonable prices if you are patient.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter