Profile Picture

failed again

Posted By jonas winslo 11 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 days ago
And I thought I was the only one to use two screwdrivers to get the handles off. Recently I acquired the correct tool and it works perfectly on the Tbird. The clips can be reversed so watch that.
PF Arcand
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 7 Months Ago
I've also found that the cheap removal tools are to thin to work well. They slip by the clip. Ended up doubling up two tools to get it too work Also, if I recall, it's possible to put some clips on the handles backwards & you can push all day & not dislodge it, so you have to come in from 180*to remove them. Hope this helps..

Paul
dbird
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
After years of prying door panels back with one screwdriver and trying to fit a small screwdriver in to pop the clip off I bought the correct tool. It worked great on the first door, however the other door had a slightly different handle that was the same on the visible side. No way the tool would work, so back to the screwdrivers. When I got them off, the area around the clip was smooth and round and much larger than the typical triangular shape. I have no idea which was original, but the replacements were the triangular shape and every other (newer) one I've seen were like that. Perhaps Ford used different suppliers, or there was a modification in 1955.

Don
DANIEL TINDER
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
If I remember correctly, some repro handles have the clip position reversed. If using an original handle as a guide, you could spend all day trying to push the clip off (or hook it, for that matter). Kind of like trying to remove a screw that (unknowingly) has left hand thread.

6 VOLTS/POS. GRD. NW INDIANA
56_Fairlane
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I would bend one end of a small stiff wire or paper clip into a short hook and go fishing for the rounded part of the clip holding the handle.

~DJ~ AKA "Bleach"
1956 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan 30K original miles
MoonShadow
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Try an old nylon stocking. Wrap it tightly around the gap between the handle and door panel and rotate it. Usually it will snag the clip and pull it out. Chuck

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
jonas winslo
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (15 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (15 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (15 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (15 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (15 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (15 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (15 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (15 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (15 reputation)

Last Active: 11 Years Ago
Thought I would break down and buy the $8.00 tool to quickly remove inside handles so I could replace door skins and upholstery.....NOT! After finally getting one handle off (not until I ripped panel apart) I saw that the tool had too small an opening to push spring off. After some modification with tin snips was able to get the window crank off but so far have failed to remove anything from the other doors....anyone have a better idea? the skins are reusable on the other doors (so far) and I would like to keep them that way.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter