Profile Picture

Double sheave damper pulley question.

Posted By vntgtrk 11 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 days ago
don't know if this is any help but i've been looking in my shop manual for 56 truck and this refers to 272 engine
re positioning of hub on water pump shaft
measurements from pump face (the face that sits on the timing cover) to the front face of the hub
4.72" for light duty engine
4.48" for heavy duty engine
a 1/4" spacer may well do providing there is enough shaft to locate the pressed steel water pump pulley
the question that springs to mind is why are the measurements diferent
stuey
The Horvaths
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)

Last Active: 10 Years Ago
I'm thinking that you could pull the hub out to where things line up. I made a puller just for water pump hubs from a steel disk and some grade 8 bolts.
MoonShadow
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Thats something that I never think about when everything lines up except the water pump pulley. As stated the flange for the pulley is pressed on without a stop so it can be moved in or out depending on what you need. Just watch for fan to crank pulley clearence and radiator. Chuck

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
The Horvaths
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)

And put any pressures on the hub and the shaft end(s) only when moving a hub. The bearing is not designed for axial loading.
vntgtrk
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)

I still have the single damper I got with the core engine. I also somehow got an extra seal for it. So when I pushed it onto the spare damper, it stopped on a ridge about 3/8" from the tapered part where the pulley itself mates up. My calibrated eyeballs tell me I'm awful close to that on the engine. Close enough I shouldn't have an oil leak.
Also I know short water pump dual pulleys from a Chebbie will work and shims are easy to get thru Summit. Naturally this means grabbing a tape measure and going to the local Pull and Save (damn the bad luck!!).
312T85Bird
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (461 reputation)Supercharged (461 reputation)Supercharged (461 reputation)Supercharged (461 reputation)Supercharged (461 reputation)Supercharged (461 reputation)Supercharged (461 reputation)Supercharged (461 reputation)Supercharged (461 reputation)

I would quess that you are trying to put this on a car motor? Use the truck water pump and generator pulleys and they will match up.

312T85Bird

What?
vntgtrk
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)

Turns out there is a difference between truck and car water pumps. Oh well, live and learn.
Anybody wanna reman car w/pump?
aussiebill
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
The truck and car pumps use different offset pulleys to keep things linedd up dont they 1

AussieBill            YYYY    Forever Y Block     YYYY

Down Under, Australia

marvh
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
The truck water pump should have a larger shaft than a car water pump also.
marv

Reading This Topic

Site Meter