Profile Picture

Aluminum or iron for the head material?

Posted By Ted 16 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 5 days ago
There are options in head materials.  Aluminum is lighter but has more heat going straight to the water jacket and subsequently not being turned into energy (horsepower).  But improved air flow as well as a compression increase can compensate for this.  On the other hand, iron heads would be good too especially if the flow numbers are increased and even if the combustion chambers stay at the stock 69cc ‘G’ size.

I’m assuming that the head manufacturer will have final say in the material being used but will be nice if the heads are designed around the material.  I’d personally hate to see another fiasco like the Edelbrocks for the Fe where there’s a drop in performance using the aluminum head over the factory cast irons only because there was not an accompanying increase in air flow and compression ratio to go along with production of them in aluminum.  Referring to out of the box and unported of course.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

charliemccraney
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 1 hour ago
I'm not a very big guy so I would like the reduced weight of the aluminum head. The out-of-the-box performance will have to be near that of a ported iron head, somewhere around Mummert's street port, to really interest me.

In any case a NEW, performance oriented head will be great, regardless of the material of which it is made.

Lawrenceville, GA
yehaabill
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (468 reputation)Supercharged (468 reputation)Supercharged (468 reputation)Supercharged (468 reputation)Supercharged (468 reputation)Supercharged (468 reputation)Supercharged (468 reputation)Supercharged (468 reputation)Supercharged (468 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Y-guys     Wouldn't the aluminum head be better for reducing the chance of

detonation, especially in boost mode or that chance of a tank of

bad gas..   Bill

Bill

Pelham,Al

pcmenten
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (381 reputation)Supercharged (381 reputation)Supercharged (381 reputation)Supercharged (381 reputation)Supercharged (381 reputation)Supercharged (381 reputation)Supercharged (381 reputation)Supercharged (381 reputation)Supercharged (381 reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago
I prefer iron for the reasons that Ted mentioned; improved efficiency, cooler operation, quieter operation, compatibility with iron blocks, durability.

Best regards,

Paul Menten

Meridian, Idaho

speedpro56
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
NEWS FLASH!!!!!!!  Aluminum heads look like there going to be a reality according to John Mummert of El Cajon Ca.w00t Spread the WORD.BigGrin

-Gary Burnette-

Reading This Topic

Site Meter