Profile Picture

Prerequisites in a replacement head design

Posted By Ted 16 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago

Some thoughts on some of the standard design features to keep a replacement head marketable to the masses would be:

Must accept current Y-Block intake manifolds and gaskets.

Must accept current Y-Block exhaust manifolds, headers, gaskets.

Must accept current Y-Block valve covers and gaskets.

Must accept current Y-Block rocker arm assemblies.

If spark plug location is revised, must be able able to use with current exhaust systems.

14mm spark plugs.  Lots of these available in the various heat ranges.

Available ready to run with valves, springs, retainers, etc.

If aluminum, then heli-coils in the rocker stand, intake, and exhaust bolt hole threads.

Open for discussion.  If necessary, just start a new thread for the topic you have in mind or add to this thread any additional standard features.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

speedpro56
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Ted, you nailed it for me.

-Gary Burnette-

pcmenten
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (381 reputation)Supercharged (381 reputation)Supercharged (381 reputation)Supercharged (381 reputation)Supercharged (381 reputation)Supercharged (381 reputation)Supercharged (381 reputation)Supercharged (381 reputation)Supercharged (381 reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago
The exhaust ports can be raised to improve the exhaust gas dynamics. I'm thinking of the 5.0 F7TE exhaust system where the valve is smaller but it flows more than bigger valves because of the excellent exhaust ports.

The shape of the combustion chamber can be based on the ECZ-G head.

Best regards,

Paul Menten

Meridian, Idaho

pcmenten
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (381 reputation)Supercharged (381 reputation)Supercharged (381 reputation)Supercharged (381 reputation)Supercharged (381 reputation)Supercharged (381 reputation)Supercharged (381 reputation)Supercharged (381 reputation)Supercharged (381 reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago
More ideas;

Rocker shaft support for the ends of the shaft.

And can we do something about the oiling system?

Best regards,

Paul Menten

Meridian, Idaho

56 effie
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (61 reputation)Turbocharged (61 reputation)Turbocharged (61 reputation)Turbocharged (61 reputation)Turbocharged (61 reputation)Turbocharged (61 reputation)Turbocharged (61 reputation)Turbocharged (61 reputation)Turbocharged (61 reputation)

Last Active: 14 Years Ago
Does the setting up of this ACH forum mean that someone is interested in producing alloy heads?

If so sign me up for a pair.

HeheHang loose and enjoy the ride.

Brisbane Australia

Ted
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
56 effie (1/4/2008)
Does the setting up of this ACH forum mean that someone is interested in producing alloy heads?

Yes.  Hopefully not another false start but questions were posed and this forum was handy in asking all the right questions.  No other information regarding the company to be handed out at this time.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

aussiebill
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Ted, thanks for your interest in starting this feasibility and design study to maybe finally end the aliminum head saga. The sensible input from members is great and my own veiw is to keep performance increase in mind 1st, just like the blue thunder intake, bolt it on and more power! I personally think smooth design without logos on front of heads, 14mm plugs, increased flow design through ports, nice evenly shaped exhaust ports as standard and wider rocker cover gasket sealing area, unlike narrow edge now that some of the original tin covers dont line up onto well. What thoughts about the extra coolant holes between center cyls that are reccommended by felpro when using their gaskets.? Thats just my little input and hope we can all help to get this going. i,m certainly in for a set or 2. Best regards, Aussie bill.

AussieBill            YYYY    Forever Y Block     YYYY

Down Under, Australia

yehaabill
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (468 reputation)Supercharged (468 reputation)Supercharged (468 reputation)Supercharged (468 reputation)Supercharged (468 reputation)Supercharged (468 reputation)Supercharged (468 reputation)Supercharged (468 reputation)Supercharged (468 reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Y-guys     I'm not up to speed on the head design but, I see some want smooth,

some rough...IF the heads are interchangeable,.. why not make one

end smooth the other rough. Just a thought....Bill

Bill

Pelham,Al

Glen Henderson
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
Ted, have you ever opened up a can of worms, good going! I will make a few comments and maybe confuse the issue even more.

1. Stock appearing vs smooth finish: In my opinion for the head to widely accepted it would have to be stock appearing for the restoration guys to accept it. The only problem that I see with this is that the Blue Thunder intake is the only one available at this time and as Frank stated they are having problems getting castings. A head designed after the small block Ford might offer more intake options including blown or injected.

2. Valves and associated components: I think that any off the shelf items (sbc or sbf) could be used to increase performance and still appeal to the resto guys. The idea of a complete bolt on package is very appealing, but should be offered bear for the individual that wants to install there own components.

3. Thicker Deck: No brainer, this should improve reliability and allow anyone who wants too reduce the cc's by milling the head.

4. FE head bolts: Good idea, but what about offering them with 7/16 hole's, but with enough material so that they could be safely drilled to 1/2".

5. Iron vs aluminum: My vote would have to go to aluminum, less weight and I think that they would look just plain cool with Frank's cover, water pump and a Blue Thunder intake. The resto guys can paint them.

Glen Henderson

Freedom is not Free

Letohatchee, AL
charliemccraney
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 5 hours ago
I don't know if it was me who had mentioned that problem but I had to grind a little on the driver side valve cover to get it to clear the Blue Thunder manifold.  It is toward the rear, I think the part of the casting where bolt goes through the manifold.

I don't think that raising the rail is a good idea.  I have barely enough room between the master cylinder to get my valve cover off.  That is without power brakes.  I am running a 'vette master cylinder but I don't think this will matter a whole lot.  I think that many of the people who buy these heads will have upgraded there brakes with a dual mc and probably disc brakes.

Lawrenceville, GA

Reading This Topic

Site Meter