Profile Picture

Early Bird engine swap

Posted By oldguy668 11 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (27 reputation)Normally aspirated (27 reputation)Normally aspirated (27 reputation)Normally aspirated (27 reputation)Normally aspirated (27 reputation)Normally aspirated (27 reputation)Normally aspirated (27 reputation)Normally aspirated (27 reputation)Normally aspirated (27 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 11 Years Ago
Five hundred years ago, I could have gotten stoned or hung or worse for asking a question like this, but I'm willing to take the chance. I really want to install a late 302 small block into my '56, but I have run into a little snag. Apparently, Tbirds have the engine mounted in a totally different configuration than Fords and Mercurys. The engine is front mounted where Fords and Mercs are side mounted. So, none of the shops that fab engine swap parts for Fords can help me with the Bird. I'd appreciate any help if someone can point me in the right direction to find the parts I need.
MoonShadow
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago

An early FE motor mount can be made to work without much effort. Hate to see you trash the Y but it is your car. Chuck

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
speedpro56
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Had a 57 ford convertible in real nice condition that someone before me installed a nice running 302 with standard shift. My 57 300 4dr with a y-block would clean it's clock bottom end top end and got better gas mileage to boot and to beat it all it was a 272. Installing the 312 yblock will get better gas mileage, more torque because of the stroke being longer and more power to move around a heavier car so yes the Y will outperform the 302. The Tbird is not a light weight like mustangs, falcons etc where the 302s do a nice job with the light weights. When you start moving over 3200 lbs and up that's where I see the Ys starting to shine. 302s can be made to fit because my brother had a 289 in a 57 bird 20 years ago but don't remember what if anything was special to make it fit. I do like 302s but it will bring the value down on the bird to some extent.

-Gary Burnette-

bird55
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)

Your post don't indicate where you are located? I might be able to help with the swap?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/d8028aa4-f8f9-4981-9e51-4428.jpg
       A  L  A  N   F  R  A  K  E  S   ~  Tulsa, OK    

charliemccraney
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 2 hours ago
I can't help with mounts, so mostly food for thought.

I've seen evidence to support what Gary says in the truck world, too. Every now and then, an mpg thread is started and the only small blocks that seem to work out better are fuel injected, roller cammed 5.0s. Anything less and the power and mileage drops. In other words, a 302 is usually a step backwards. I don't know about you but if I make a swap, I want to move forward.

Further, what are you going to do about the transmission, shifter, clutch linkage if manual, drive shaft, radiator, throttle linkage, exhaust, and the myriad of other things involved in a swap? Sometimes people jump so quickly to the engine swap conclusion without considering everything that may be involved. It is far more than an engine swap that you will be doing. Can you do it yourself or will you be paying someone?

On the other hand, if your Bird is missing the engine all together, a swap could be a cost effective solution. The T-Bird specific parts are not cheap.

Lawrenceville, GA
dbird
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)

A member of the local Tbird club has a 312 with an AOD in his 57. He told me once how he did it, and of course I can't remember. He did say that he did it in a way that he could go back to stock fairly easily. I'll probably see him next Friday, if you haven't got good answers by then, I'll get more information for you.
I do know that the transmission mount should be easy for an automatic, When I put the C4 in mine it was just a matter of drilling one hole and elongating the other and using a 68 Mustang mount.

Don
Y block Billy
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
I also second Garys and Charie's opinions, you will be much happier keep a Y in there and it will retain its value!

55 Vicky & customline

58 Rack Dump, 55 F350 yard truck, 57 F100

59 & 61 P 400's, 58 F100 custom cab, 69 F100, 79 F150, 82 F600 ramp truck, 90 mustang conv 7 up, 94 Mustang, Should I continue?

gekko13
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago
oldguy, as you have noted, the motor mounts will have to fabricated. Back in the day, kits were available but I they may be hard to find now. If you do not have metal fabrication equipment and experience, this could be a costly under taking. The result may have some performance benefits/advantages but you will have to modify a lot of your vehicle's stock systems. All these "alterations" will lower the resale value of your car considerably too. For the same dollar outlay, you can significantly improve the stock engine and not destroy the car's marketability- the best of all outcomes, IMO. The contributors on this site can help you select the best parts and explain how to get the most out of them. It is your choice of course but I've seen too many swaps like this blow through a bunch of money and end up disappointing.
312T85Bird
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (461 reputation)Supercharged (461 reputation)Supercharged (461 reputation)Supercharged (461 reputation)Supercharged (461 reputation)Supercharged (461 reputation)Supercharged (461 reputation)Supercharged (461 reputation)Supercharged (461 reputation)

Last Active: 10 Years Ago
When you touch the gas with a "Y" under the hood you can feel the torque set you back and it lifts the nose and it is moving, you need a small block in a light weight like a Mustang to feel anything close to it. Like it was said "it is your car do what you like" But what a waste to trade out a "Y" from an early Bird.

312T85Bird

What?
MoonShadow
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
Build a mild street Y-Block and you will never go back. I have the Bendtsen adapter in my Vicky with a 80's Mustang AOD. It brought my highway RPM down to about 2000 at 65. I think its the way to go. There are other adapters available. You should check out John Mummerts site at: http://www.ford-y-block.com/ for all sorts of Y-block parts and adapters. There are a few others out there too but John is directly responsible for many of the "new" Y-Block speed parts available today so I always go to him first. With the aluminum heads et al he definately deserves our support. Chuck

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire

Reading This Topic

Site Meter