Profile Picture

Setting the Valves

Posted By Ted 17 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Last Week

aussiebill (6/19/2010)
Ol’ford nut (6/18/2010) It's a solid lifter engine, they may quiet down warmed up but you should still hear them.

What method did you use to adjust them?

I have allways split the fireing order,

Set #1 tappets rocking on both valves then adjust gap on #6, rotate engine till #5 is rocking and set #3, otherwise 1/4 crankturn is next cyl rocking. follow it through till #2 is gapped, then rotate engine till #6 is rocking and gap #1, rotate till #3 rocking and gap #5 etc. just the way i,ve done it for years.?

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

DANIEL TINDER
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
Exhaust valves will grow 2-3 thousands (according to instructions that came with my P&G GAPPER tool) when hot.

I warm up the motor, shut it off (can't seem to get the gapper dial to stabilize with motor running, even at min idle though a camera switch was included for that purpose) and quickly set all the exhausts on one side with a remote starter switch. I then run the engine another 5 minutes or so (they cool off fast) and set all the exhausts on the other side. The intakes/pushrods don't seem to be as critical. Possibly the expansion rate varies with temperature extremes?

6 VOLTS/POS. GRD. NW INDIANA
charliemccraney
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 1 hour ago
There are hot and cold clearances. I've been setting mine cold for the past 5 or 6 years. Seems to be doing ok. I don't like doing it while running because oil manages to escape and make a little mess. I've seen Tim's video but in my case, a little oil will make it out, without pressurized shafts. I had them pressurized one time and I must have lost a quart of oil between starting the engine, going to the front of the truck, seeing oil spilling over and shutting it off. I suppose one could get the engine up to temp, shut it off, and then proceed to adjust the valves hot.

Lawrenceville, GA
HT32BSX115
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
PWH42 (12/1/2007)
Another very simple method(although not exact)that is close enough is with the engine idling,tighten the adjuster down until it just stops ticking,then back it off a quarter turn.That will be almost precisely .019 clearance.

Yeah, I was going to jump in on that one. I used to set the valves in my 57 292 that way..... it wasn't too messy...and I did use a feeler gage just to be sure!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1955 F-600/272/E4OD// Disclaimer: No animals were injured while test driving my F-600 except the ones I ran over intentionally!

---------------------
This post was created using OpenSuSE Linux x64 and Firefox

ejstith
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (567 reputation)Supercharged (567 reputation)Supercharged (567 reputation)Supercharged (567 reputation)Supercharged (567 reputation)Supercharged (567 reputation)Supercharged (567 reputation)Supercharged (567 reputation)Supercharged (567 reputation)

Last Active: 10 Years Ago
I do mine with the engine running. I just crank it up and slip the feeler gage between the rocker and valve stem. Put a socket on it and although it kinda like ridin' a bronc, it's do-able and is quick. Unlike a Chevy it doesn't splash oil all over everywhere ..

Doing Fords for 45 years. '56 Customline Victoria

E.J. in Havana FL
PWH42
Posted 17 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago
Another very simple method(although not exact)that is close enough is with the engine idling,tighten the  adjuster down until it just stops ticking,then back it off a quarter turn.That will be almost precisely .019 clearance.

Paul,

Boonville,MO

GREENBIRD56
Posted 17 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
I'll add two cents - my old rockers didn't have a flat surface to work right with a feeler gauge. When I was fiinished with the job - and everyone has a different "feel" for the clearance depending on how often you "practice" (medical term) - everything seemed to be too loose (and it was). After rigging up a dial indicator, I found that every one I checked was .001 to .0015 over spec.

The rocker tips needed reground flat (which I didn't address for now) - I instead used a thinner feeler and went back for a few random checks with the indicator for good measure. It got the  lash down to .019.  

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9ea2bf28-00c4-4772-9ac7-d154.jpg 
 Steve Metzger       Tucson, Arizona

Ted
Posted 17 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Last Week

This was on the old site and upon hearing the number of requests for valve setting information, is worth reposting.

There are several methods in which to set the valve lash on an engine with solid lifter valves such as the Y-Block Ford.  I’ll go through some of the methods I use and others can chime in with modifications to my comments or different ways to achieve the same thing.  Valve lash will vary depending upon the camshaft being used but if it’s a factory stocker, then 0.019” lash (hot or cold) will get you where you need to be.  Otherwise, use the specs supplied with the camshaft you’re using.

Method 1:

This is one of the simpler methods in which to set the valve lash and will not require finding top dead center (TDC) or be concerned about the firing order.  But this method does require knowing which valve is the intake and which is the exhaust for the cylinder that the valves are being set or adjusted.  Identifying which valve is which for a particular cylinder is merely a matter of looking at the ports, intake and exhaust, and alligning the port in question with the valve stem to be checked.  Upon identifying the valves for a particular cylinder, then it’s just being able to bump the engine over with the starter or turning it over in a clockwise fashion (viewed from the front) with a wrench attached to the damper bolt.  Having the spark plugs removed will allow the engine to turn over easier but is not a prerequisite to performing this operation.

To set the intake valve for a particular cylinder, then bump the engine over until the exhaust valve for that same cylinder just starts to go down or depress.  If the exhaust valve has started back up, then you’ve gone too far in which to set the intake valve for the cylinder in question.  Upon getting the exhaust valve at the “started down” position, the intake valve for that same cylinder can be adjusted to whatever feeler gauge or lash setting you’re using.  Upon completing the adjustment for the intake valve, then bump the engine over until the intake valve has fully depressed and has almost come completely back up to the closed position.  At this point, the exhaust valve can be set to the desired lash.  The order in which to do the cylinders is not important as long as all the cylinders have had the lash adjustment procedure performed.  Do this to all eight cylinders at which point you’re through.

Method 2:

Take an old distributor cap and cut the top off of it so that the distributor rotor tip can be plainly viewed within it.  Number the cap around the sides with the firing order insuring that the #1 on the modified cap is the same as the #1 position on the existing cap that’s currently being run on the engine.  When you’re through numbering the cap, it should be the Y firing order going around the cap in a counter clockwise sequence.  At this point, you can install the modified cap on the engine and starting with whatever cylinder number on that cap is being pointed to by the rotor, both the intake and exhaust valves on that cylinder can have their lash adjusted.  Then it’s just a matter of bumping the engine over to the next cylinder within the cap, observing which cylinder number is being indicated, and set both the valves on that cylinder.  Continue doing this until all eight cylinders have had the valves adjusted.  If you overshoot a cylinder in the bumping over process, no big deal.  You can either bump the engine around until the rotor is pointing back at that cylinder within the cap or just catch it later after doing the other cylinders preceding it.

Method 3:

For this valve lash setting method, top dead center (TDC) on the compression stroke will need to be determined.  One method is to watch the intake valve on the #1 cylinder while the engine is being bumped or turned over and after it has depressed and has just came back up, then slowly bump the engine over until TDC on the damper is alligned with the timing pointer.  As an additional note, after the intake valve just closes, the damper TDC mark is expected to be within 90° of the timing pointer.  Yet another method is to first pull the #1 spark plug and then bumping the engine over using the starter.  The buddy method which is someone else on the key is one way but is more easily achieved more simply by using a button style switch attached to the starter solenoid.  Upon feeling the first hint of compression out of the #1 sparkplug hole, then slowly bump the starter until the TDC mark alligns with the timing pointer.  Again, when compression is felt at the spark plug hole, the damper TDC mark is already within 90° of being at the timing pointer.  Upon getting TDC on the damper alligned with the pointer, mark the damper opposite of TDC and then at the two spots 90° (quarter turns) from TDC with anything that will make the marks easily visible.  Liquid Paper with its supplied brush works good for this but paint or a crayon will suffice also.  When through, you should have four equally spaced marks on the damper.

With the damper at compression TDC, set both the valves for the #1 cylinder.  Upon doing this, rotate the engine either with the starter or clock wise (looking from the front of the engine) by hand ~90° to the next mark.  At this point, the next cylinder in the firing order can have both its valves adjusted.  In the case of the Y-Block, this next cylinder would be #5.  Set both the valves on #5 and rotate once more another 90° and you’re ready to set the valves on cylinder #4.  Keep doing this in quarter turn increments on the damper until all eight cylinders have been adjusted.  Firing order on the Y is 1-5-4-8-6-3-7-2 and is the order in which the cylinders should have their valves adjusted if performing it by this method.

A word of caution on cylinder numbering.  The Ford V8 aint no scrub motor which means the Fords are numbered 1-4 on the passenger side and 5-8 on the drivers side.  This note is merely for the converts out there of which I’m glad you’re a convert.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter