Profile Picture

Modifying Fel-Pro head gaskets

Posted By slick56 11 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Is it feasible to cut out around the pushrod tube holes, copying the profile of the Best gaskets? I was going to use the pics on J Mummert's site as a template. http://www.ford-y-block.com/gaskets.htm
Should/can any sealer be used on the head gasket, if so, what kind? Thanks, Al.

South Australia

Rono
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Al;

If your Fel Pro head gaskets have a "PT" in the part number, those are the "Perma-Torque" head gaskets. I use these gaskets and have never used sealant on them. Usually on a complete engine rebuild I would surface the block deck and heads anyway so I won't have to re-torque or use sealant. As far as modifying the push rod holes, I don't know...never tried that.

Rono

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

slick56
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

They are blue with blue stripes , p/no. 7999PT, also has R6 stamped in them. So these do not need to be re-torqued after engine run? Seems to be a bit of discussion on here; some yes, some no?

South Australia

Rono
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Al;

I spend the extra money on the Fel Pro "PT" head gaskets because I don't want to go through removing the rocker shafts to re-torque all the head bolts. I my opinion, if you have these gaskets and are using good bolts or studs and have surfaced the block and heads, there should be no need to re-torque the gaskets. I'm sure there will be others that don't agree, but it's up to you and what you are comfortable with.

Rono

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
My question is: why do you want to trim between the pushrod holes ala Best gaskets?

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
aussiebill
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Hoosier Hurricane (8/4/2013)
My question is: why do you want to trim between the pushrod holes ala Best gaskets?

Thanks john, i was going to ask same question. Smile

AussieBill            YYYY    Forever Y Block     YYYY

Down Under, Australia

The Horvaths
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)

Last Active: 10 Years Ago
In other words, how much horsepower are you running that leads you to wish for extra clamping pressure around the cylinders? Not poking, just want to understand. I'd be afraid that I didn't make a clean cut and got some material bunched up around the cut line. That might actually cause leaks.
Y block Billy
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Ya same question, what would neccesetate the need to cut gaskets? Ron, heads can be retorqued without removing the rocker shafts, it takes a short 3/8 drive socket to get round the end of the rocker shaft but it can be done.

55 Vicky & customline

58 Rack Dump, 55 F350 yard truck, 57 F100

59 & 61 P 400's, 58 F100 custom cab, 69 F100, 79 F150, 82 F600 ramp truck, 90 mustang conv 7 up, 94 Mustang, Should I continue?

slick56
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I have picked up a C2 292 that has been rebuilt and has done very little work, but has been sitting for a few years. I don't want to go to the expense of decking or getting the heads milled, and just thought that the cut out gaskets were a good idea. I have a drill mounted nibbler that does excellent work on sheet metal and plastic sheet and thought i may try that. Was wondering if anyone had already done it is all.

South Australia

suede57ford
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)

I've cut head gaskets out around the pushrod holes like the Mummert Modified Best gaskets. Easy to do.

The reason you would remove the materal betweent the pushrod holes is that it allows the the head bolts to put more clamping force on the head gasket where it is needed around the fire ring, insead of wasting force on the upper part of the head gasket.

The felpro gaskets have a slightly smaller diameter fire-ring when compressed compared to the best gaskets. On a large bore motor the Felpro's can hang into the cylinder wall which exposses them to heat and can cause the folded metal ring to melt.

I've went to Big Bore Best gaskets to keep the heat away from the gasket, and they have the material removed from the pushrod area. I also torque them higher than stock with ARP studs. Haven't had a head gasket problem with the supercharger since.

Pat Fleischman

Reading This Topic

Site Meter