Profile Picture

Passenger side oil

Posted By sprink88 11 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 days ago
I didn't notice if you said this is a new rebuild, a car you just bought or you just took the valve covers off to check.If it is a new rebuild with a new cam then it is likely the groove in the cam is too shallow. If it is a well used engine then there are numerous possible causes. The plugged passages mentioned above or worn cam bearings are candidates.

http://ford-y-block.com 

20 miles east of San Diego, 20 miles north of Mexico

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/2c0ef4dd-5dd8-408e-ba0d-74f6.jpg

Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 5 hours ago
The most likely cause of the stoppage is at the offset in the feed holes between the block and head. With the rocker assembly off, see if you can blow air or pump oil down the feed hole. If not, maybe you can open it up. Find a metal rod about 6 inches long that is a close fit in the oil hole. Fill the hole with oil, put the rod in the hole, wrap a rag around the rod to prevent oil from shooting past the rod and into your eye, and drive it in with a hammer. The hydraulic force should force the sludge from the crossover passage. It may take 2 or 3 tries to open it up. I have an adaptor that bolts to the rocker stand pad with a grease fitting that aligns with the oil hole, and use a hand grease gun to clear the passage, then pump an extra 4 or 5 pumps to force the sludge past the cam bearing and into the pan. I'm assuming this is an engine with some miles on it, not a fresh rebuild.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
sprink88
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Alright. First off, I am so sorry it took a week for this. But I had the week from hell.

Now I took off the passenger side rocker arm. Cleaned it up but found no junk anyway. Blew air into it, and could see it coming out of the holes. I ran a wire down the head, an it went in 4". Is that all the way it should go?

I also up loaded a couple vids. Seen here.

VIDEO 1

Hope it works. I am on my phone right now. I will check later when chicken is off the grill

1957 Fairlane
sprink88
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)

@John, the motor was suppose to be rebuilt, however, when I picked up the engine he was suppose to bring the paperwork. The engine was at his friends, and he did not have the paperwork. But the engine does look really clean, inside and out.

@Hoosier I got 4" out of a wire, is that down the hole long enough?

1957 Fairlane
MoonShadow
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
The oiling in the video 1 looks great. Lots of oil in the head coming off the rocker tips. If the passenger side looks like that you have no problem. Y's don't spray oil like some other engines. Chuck

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
PF Arcand
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
From the video, even though it's not really clear, I agree with Chuck,the oiling looks adequate .. However, when the previous owner of a "recently rebuilt" engine can't produce any paper work..assume it's not rebuilt! Only an idiot would throw away expensive records from a full rebuild.

Paul
sprink88
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Oh, I am so sorry. BOTH those vids were from the drivers side. I uploaded both thinking they were opposite. Here is a vid it shows both sides.

Here it is

passenger side is first then I o to drivers side

The oil you see on the pass side, is what I squirted. No other oil comes out from sides

1957 Fairlane
sprink88
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

well no luck with oil today.

I have extra valve covers, would it be ok to run the oil line to the rockers for the rest of the year?

1957 Fairlane
oldcarmark
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
You don't need to modify the covers.The oil line feeds in from the top of the cover with a cutout in the gasket.These were sold as a kit in the 60's for this purpose.You might find one on Ebay or cobble up your own with copper line and fittings.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
MoonShadow
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
The kits show up on EBAY occasionaly. I think the best ones have a hollow valve cover stud that is connected to the line. It feeds the oil directly into the rocker shaft so the rest of the path is normal. Each rocker gets its own oil. Chuck

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire

Reading This Topic

Site Meter