Passenger side oil

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic83868.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By sprink88 - 11 Years Ago
You guys probably already know what I am talking about, my drivers side is oiling fine, but the passengers side is non-existent.

My question is, it looks as if the oil squirts from the bottom downward. To see if the hole is plugged on the otherside, do I need to take the rocker arms off to put a wire down there?
By oldcarmark - 11 Years Ago
Have you checked the shaft(s) to be sure they are not plugged up as many did over the years?They can be cleaned out by diassembling and taking the plugs off the ends.There are also squirt holes in the arms that get plugged and can be cleaned using a paper clip with the rocker shafts dis-aassembled.You also should check if there is oil flow from the camshaft bearing by taking shaft off and checking for oil flow from the oil feed hole in the head.
By Bob's 55 - 11 Years Ago
sprink88 (6/25/2013)
To see if the hole is plugged on the otherside, do I need to take the rocker arms off to put a wire down there?

To answer your question, you can only "put a wire down there" the thickness of the head until it hits the deck of the block. There the oil passage makes a jog then down thru the block to the center cam bearing. Actual flow starts from cam bearing up to rocker arms.
By MoonShadow - 11 Years Ago
How long did you have the engine running? Sometimes it takes quite a while to get oil to the passenger side. Chuck
I have had it running 15-20 min. had to pour oil over rockers to keep them lubed, enough to get the temp up there.
That sounds like it won't be an easy fix. You will need to pull the rocker shaft on that side and go through the cleaning process outlined previously. Once the shaft is off check the oil feed holes under the rocker stands. You should be able to remove the coil wire and turn the engine over a bit to see if its trying to pump oil through the feed. If it is then the problem is in the rocker shaft. If not? May be time to pull the head and clean the block passages. Chuck
By PF Arcand - 11 Years Ago
Guys: From Sprink's opening description, is it possible that the rocker shaft is installed incorrectly?
The oil feeds in through the bottom and passes oil to the rockers from the top.If the shaft is upside down it wont fill with oil.Needs to check that..
ok, so the drivers side squirts downward. That that one maybe upside down? And the pass side does nothing. Man, sounds like I need to take both sides apart. That will be tomorrows project I guess Crying
The oil should come out the holes at the shaft end of the rockers and flow down to the tip. Is the drivers side "spitting" oil at pressure or just pumping? In other words does the drivers side throw oil all over the fender etc.? Can you do a short video of each side? Possibly with your phone? Chuck
By John Mummert - 11 Years Ago
I didn't notice if you said this is a new rebuild, a car you just bought or you just took the valve covers off to check.If it is a new rebuild with a new cam then it is likely the groove in the cam is too shallow. If it is a well used engine then there are numerous possible causes. The plugged passages mentioned above or worn cam bearings are candidates.
By Hoosier Hurricane - 11 Years Ago
The most likely cause of the stoppage is at the offset in the feed holes between the block and head. With the rocker assembly off, see if you can blow air or pump oil down the feed hole. If not, maybe you can open it up. Find a metal rod about 6 inches long that is a close fit in the oil hole. Fill the hole with oil, put the rod in the hole, wrap a rag around the rod to prevent oil from shooting past the rod and into your eye, and drive it in with a hammer. The hydraulic force should force the sludge from the crossover passage. It may take 2 or 3 tries to open it up. I have an adaptor that bolts to the rocker stand pad with a grease fitting that aligns with the oil hole, and use a hand grease gun to clear the passage, then pump an extra 4 or 5 pumps to force the sludge past the cam bearing and into the pan. I'm assuming this is an engine with some miles on it, not a fresh rebuild.
Alright. First off, I am so sorry it took a week for this. But I had the week from hell.

Now I took off the passenger side rocker arm. Cleaned it up but found no junk anyway. Blew air into it, and could see it coming out of the holes. I ran a wire down the head, an it went in 4". Is that all the way it should go?

I also up loaded a couple vids. Seen here.

VIDEO 1

Hope it works. I am on my phone right now. I will check later when chicken is off the grill
@John, the motor was suppose to be rebuilt, however, when I picked up the engine he was suppose to bring the paperwork. The engine was at his friends, and he did not have the paperwork. But the engine does look really clean, inside and out.

@Hoosier I got 4" out of a wire, is that down the hole long enough?
The oiling in the video 1 looks great. Lots of oil in the head coming off the rocker tips. If the passenger side looks like that you have no problem. Y's don't spray oil like some other engines. Chuck
By PF Arcand - 11 Years Ago
From the video, even though it's not really clear, I agree with Chuck,the oiling looks adequate .. However, when the previous owner of a "recently rebuilt" engine can't produce any paper work..assume it's not rebuilt! Only an idiot would throw away expensive records from a full rebuild.
Oh, I am so sorry. BOTH those vids were from the drivers side. I uploaded both thinking they were opposite. Here is a vid it shows both sides.

Here it is

passenger side is first then I o to drivers side

The oil you see on the pass side, is what I squirted. No other oil comes out from sides
well no luck with oil today.

I have extra valve covers, would it be ok to run the oil line to the rockers for the rest of the year?
You don't need to modify the covers.The oil line feeds in from the top of the cover with a cutout in the gasket.These were sold as a kit in the 60's for this purpose.You might find one on Ebay or cobble up your own with copper line and fittings.
The kits show up on EBAY occasionaly. I think the best ones have a hollow valve cover stud that is connected to the line. It feeds the oil directly into the rocker shaft so the rest of the path is normal. Each rocker gets its own oil. Chuck
By slick56 - 11 Years Ago
Here is a link to a YouTube vid posted by '59Edsel showing the valve cover stud mod.Perhaps you can IM him for more info?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hFgpstD2y0
well, went to an all Ford Junkyard today and pick up this little number. Do I need to pull the caps off the end or drill them out. Anyone know?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a9e8bcb2-b11d-4bc9-a5de-bf55.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/297c149f-420d-4b15-81a7-d7c4.jpg

now I know I have excellent oil on the drivers side, so I was going to plug the oil tube from the block and try rocker arm to rocker arm first.
The caps on the rocker shaft are press fit.Drill a small hole and use a sheet metal screw and vice grips to pop one out.