Profile Picture

1954 239 Fuel Pump...which one do i need?

Posted By Hannah 11 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 11 Years Ago
Hi, my fuel pump on my 1954 239 Y block just took a sh*t.
I'm wondering which pump to get to replace it...the existing pump is a mechanical pump with the bowl on top and the vacuum hookup that goes to the valve on the top of the manifold. I have an electric motor for my wipers- do i need the vacuum hookup? if not, what do i do about the valve on the manifold?

I have found what most sites say is a replacement: the B4A-9350-D
but this is a different pump than i have. The only ones i've found resembling mine are on ebay as NOS.
Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer!
Best,
Hannah

This is like the one i have:
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a70a46d0-5e45-4a4f-8332-cac9.JPG
Dobie Gillis
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (154 reputation)Supercharged (154 reputation)Supercharged (154 reputation)Supercharged (154 reputation)Supercharged (154 reputation)Supercharged (154 reputation)Supercharged (154 reputation)Supercharged (154 reputation)Supercharged (154 reputation)

Last Active: 10 Years Ago
Hannah (6/6/2013)
Hi, my fuel pump on my 1954 239 Y block just took a sh*t.
I'm wondering which pump to get to replace it...the existing pump is a mechanical pump with the bowl on top and the vacuum hookup that goes to the valve on the top of the manifold. I have an electric motor for my wipers- do i need the vacuum hookup? if not, what do i do about the valve on the manifold?

I have found what most sites say is a replacement: the B4A-9350-D
but this is a different pump than i have. The only ones i've found resembling mine are on ebay as NOS.
Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer!
Best,
Hannah

If you've converted to electric wipers you don't need the vacuum booster fuel pump. I would either remove the manifold valve and plug the hole or just plug the valve and leave it there. A plain 'ol fuel pump takes a bit less horsepower to operate, not that you'd notice...
Hannah
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)

sweet, thanks so much!
oldcarmark
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
I would not buy an NOS pump as they won't stand up to the additives in todays gas.Recently manufactured pumps or an old one rebuilt recently will have better material in pump diaphragm that wont get eaten by todays gas.I shudder when I see all these NOS 40 year old fuel pumps for sale.They wont standup today.I have one on mine from a 352/390 Ford(new manufacture).Not sure if the 239 will also accept that pump.Anyone else know?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
Hannah
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

gotcha- i won't go for an old pump, thanks. I just can't figure out what new pump is sposed to go on it- apparently the engine made in Dearborn takes a different pump than the truck motor in '54...ugh!
pintoplumber
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 7 hours ago
I think the number of the fuel pump is an airtex 4070.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/3047f5ac-add1-4e79-a3ed-14ea.jpg  Dennis in Lititz PA

Reading This Topic

Site Meter