Profile Picture

Rear Axle Woes

Posted By Dobie Gillis 11 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (154 reputation)Supercharged (154 reputation)Supercharged (154 reputation)Supercharged (154 reputation)Supercharged (154 reputation)Supercharged (154 reputation)Supercharged (154 reputation)Supercharged (154 reputation)Supercharged (154 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 10 Years Ago
In the words of Emily Littela, "If it's not one thing, it's another". I think the rear axle in my 55 Merc has breathed it's last. Yesterday it suddenly developed a lot of play and a loud bang on releasing the clutch. I got the car up on jack stands and can now rotate the driveshaft about 3/4" back and forth before feeling any resistance. I have never abused it, but who knows what's in its past.

So my questions:

Are internal parts still available for these Spicer/Dana 44 axles?

Anybody here swapped a later axle into a 55/56 Merc? I'm thinking a 9" or an 8.8" would do the trick, but which donor vehicles have an axle of similar width? I'd like to keep the original lug bolt pattern if possible.

Any help appreciated.
stuey
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
hi

might find this interesting http://www.yukongear.com/PartCats.aspx?SearchMode=Diff&TypeID=3&Type=Dana&DiffID=135&DiffName=Dana+44+Rear

Mid Fifties used to have a few parts (bearings gaskets cover)but not to much.

i'm torn between using the above link to rebuild my Dana 44 or swap in a ford 9"

stuey

UK
Rono
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
The early Ford 9" from a 57-58 Ford full size passenger car would be a good swap for your 55 I think. The 57 Ford 9" has an overall width of approximately 57" from axle flange to axle flange and approximately 51" to the inside of the backing plates. Take measurements from your rear and see what they are. They have the correct lug spacing (5x4.5") and use the big drum brakes (11"x2&1/4"). You may need to relocate the spring perches. These early Ford 9" rears are getting hard to find, but I just found one that was under a home made utility trailer complete with the pumpkin and 3.56 gears.

Rono

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

pegleg
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
You'll find the 65 t0 66 Mustangs had an 8" that may work. they were pretty narrow vehicles. The Later Rangers used the 8.8's and the Explorers did also, some of the Explorers came with disc brakes. 67 up Mustangs an Fairlanes came with a narrow 9'' but I think they all would need spring perch relocation. That's not a big deal. summit and jegs both sell the perches.

Frank/Rebop

Bristol, In ( by Elkhart) 

RB
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
I parted out a 55 and a 56 that had good rear ends I disassembled one of them before i decided to do a 9 inch.. They are pretty beefy. Slightly more so than a Dana 44 They have 30 spline axles, and I think mine had a 3:18 gear.. If you want i can probably track one down for you
Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
Guys, Dobie said he would like to retain the original bolt pattern for the wheels. If I remember correctly, the '55-'56 Merc had a different bolt pattern than Ford. Most of the 8" and 9" suggestions will have the Ford pattern. Pickups probably have the larger pattern. My suggestion, Dobie, is to pull the back cover and see what the problem is. Then check with RB for any parts needed. I have seen the spider gear pin come out partway and contact the pinion gear with a bang.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
Y block Billy
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
I have also had a pin come out part way and heard a big bang when it hit the ring gear, the keeper pins were known to shear off and then the spider pin slide out. I just pushed it back in and welded each end of the pin so it wouldnt slide out again, no more problems after that.

55 Vicky & customline

58 Rack Dump, 55 F350 yard truck, 57 F100

59 & 61 P 400's, 58 F100 custom cab, 69 F100, 79 F150, 82 F600 ramp truck, 90 mustang conv 7 up, 94 Mustang, Should I continue?

Vic Correnti
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
I have a complete one out of a 1955 bird that has 4:30 gears in it right now but I have a set of 2:95 gears for one too and some extra parts if you know what you need. I am in northern Illinois.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/7393d096-cbf0-4ed0-bfdc-c4b0.jpg  Vic Correnti

pintoplumber
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I also have 2 dana 44 rears out of 53-55 f100's same bolt pattern as the merc. 3.92 ratio drum to drum.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/3047f5ac-add1-4e79-a3ed-14ea.jpg  Dennis in Lititz PA
pegleg
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Hoosier Hurricane (6/4/2013)
Guys, Dobie said he would like to retain the original bolt pattern for the wheels. If I remember correctly, the '55-'56 Merc had a different bolt pattern than Ford. Most of the 8" and 9" suggestions will have the Ford pattern. Pickups probably have the larger pattern. My suggestion, Dobie, is to pull the back cover and see what the problem is. Then check with RB for any parts needed. I have seen the spider gear pin come out partway and contact the pinion gear with a bang.

So the Mercs used a 5 on 5' bolt pattern? That would make repairing the 44 a better bet eh?

Frank/Rebop

Bristol, In ( by Elkhart) 

Reading This Topic

Site Meter