Profile Picture

Engine hard to turn

Posted By 55 GLASS TOP 11 Years Ago
Rated stars based on 1 vote.
Author
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hello I have a 1955 Ford 272 takes a lot of effort to turn the engine , I have soaked the pistons with oil with no change . The car has been sitting for almost 30 yrs I have pulled the heads today and the cylinder bore is clean yet the engine is still tight . The car has an automatic transmission I was wondering if the torque converter or some internal transmission part could be so rusty that its making the crankshaft hard to turn. I plan to disconnect the converter from the engine to see if it makes a diffrence. I would like some Ideas Byy the was today when in removed the heads I did drop the pan and removed the bearing cap from each piston the pistons all moved freely yet the engine is still hard to turn thanks again
Lou
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Are you turning the engine my hand or with the starter?
55 GLASS TOP
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Almost can't turn by hand, i need to use a long handle ratchet and socket . I need to use 12 volts to spin the motor .
pegleg
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
You might want to look at the crank and make sure the bearings are ok. Sounds like somrthing's siezed or trying to/ Probably why it was parked. Check the rear seal and the mains also.

Frank/Rebop

Bristol, In ( by Elkhart) 

55 GLASS TOP
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

When I removed the bearing caps to move the pistons there was some slight scuffing on the bearings but nothing seemed like it was so stuck as to make the engine drag the way it is . Today I am going to see if I can take the tranny out of the equation . I think something in the tranny is the problem . When I find out the problem I plan to take the engine apart again just to make sure no damge was done .
pegleg
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Another thought comes to mind, Pull the belts off the motor and make sure it's not the water pump or generator. Starter too.

Frank/Rebop

Bristol, In ( by Elkhart) 

Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 1 hour ago
"Take the engine apart again"? Have you already had it apart? Now you need to checked for mixed up bearing caps and caps on backwards. Those would make it hard to turn if it didn't lock it up entirely.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
aussiebill
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
55 GLASS TOP (6/2/2013)
When I removed the bearing caps to move the pistons there was some slight scuffing on the bearings but nothing seemed like it was so stuck as to make the engine drag the way it is . Today I am going to see if I can take the tranny out of the equation . I think something in the tranny is the problem . When I find out the problem I plan to take the engine apart again just to make sure no damge was done .

2 things cross my mind, if sitting for so long untouched? and top end removed, and rod caps loosened and still tight, how about loosening main caps incase gunk has settled through crank oil holes into bearing groove or cam followers are tight. Obviously soaking pistons has been done? All just a guess relating to rotating parts and we all love a stab in the dark with these problems.

AussieBill            YYYY    Forever Y Block     YYYY

Down Under, Australia

aussiebill
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Hoosier Hurricane (6/2/2013)
"Take the engine apart again"? Have you already had it apart? Now you need to checked for mixed up bearing caps and caps on backwards. Those would make it hard to turn if it didn't lock it up entirely.

John, good to see you,r on the mend and excercising your mind with these brain teasers.Tongue

AussieBill            YYYY    Forever Y Block     YYYY

Down Under, Australia

55 GLASS TOP
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

some more on this car the engine was rebuilt over 20 yra ago and never started it had oil nothing on the inside is rusty every thing i touch seems to move freely . when turning the engine with a ratchet you can hear a low growl like dry bearing sound . the tranny has NEVER had oil in it so I was wondering if the torque converter could have rusted since its air cooled and maybe the dampness rusted the unit . The tranny drain pan is badly rusted can i unbolt the converter a push it back to spin the engine .

Reading This Topic

Site Meter