Profile Picture

Modern trans on a Y.

Posted By salf100 11 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
QuestionMark Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (47 reputation)Normally aspirated (47 reputation)Normally aspirated (47 reputation)Normally aspirated (47 reputation)Normally aspirated (47 reputation)Normally aspirated (47 reputation)Normally aspirated (47 reputation)Normally aspirated (47 reputation)Normally aspirated (47 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 11 Years Ago
I know the topic has been talked about, but does anyone have good/bad results and the hurtles to installing an AOD or C4 to their Y block? If like to hear everything from adapters to wiring to shifter styles. Pro cons and long term results. I'm brain storming for my 64F100 w/292.

1964 F100 292YBlock
stuey
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (830 reputation)Supercharged (830 reputation)Supercharged (830 reputation)Supercharged (830 reputation)Supercharged (830 reputation)Supercharged (830 reputation)Supercharged (830 reputation)Supercharged (830 reputation)Supercharged (830 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/tech/html/c4conv.html

i followed this article and i have a f100, well pleased. i've found Gene at FLAT-O really helpful. now saving my pennies for a Gear Vendors overdrive. so maybe i should have gone the AOD route in the first place. biggest problem i found was the weight of the recovered Fordo

good luck

stuey
salf100
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (47 reputation)Normally aspirated (47 reputation)Normally aspirated (47 reputation)Normally aspirated (47 reputation)Normally aspirated (47 reputation)Normally aspirated (47 reputation)Normally aspirated (47 reputation)Normally aspirated (47 reputation)Normally aspirated (47 reputation)

Stuey

Are you not pleased with the drivability? I'm looking for good highway manners at 70 mph so maybe the AOD is the way to go. I still have the stock 3.70's and will keep those. You have a pic of the shifter installed (if you went with floor shift).

1964 F100 292YBlock
jcacciag
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)

I just did the conversion on my 57 bird. When they put in the shifter arm (Lockar) in the trans. I had them install a 3.00 first gear. I do not know if it was the AOD or the 3.00 gear but what a difference in acceleration. May have to go to a posi-traction. No major problem except we had to notch out part of the X frame (T-Bird) for clearance and move the rear mount I used the fill tube from the AOD and just made a short bracket. The FOM transmission drive shaft yoke will fit the AOD BUT do not use it, Get one for the AOD. I did not have to cut the driveshaft. Parts from junk yard were: Yoke, Wiring plug and harness trans. fill tube pressure reg. cable.

I have been sitting behind a YBlock for 50years
LordMrFord
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I had and have to make some minor improvements to Bendsen's adapter but it's ok.

There is a topic somewhere, but I angled flywheel teeth and I have to cut one hole beneath the starter bushing to and other above to direct rain water elsewhere. Water in starter has rusted out a two bendixes, two solenoids and three bushings all ready. Water come from hole in the hood so it isn't everybody's problem.

I have TCI's non lockup Street Fighter AOD and 3000 RPM Super Street Fighter Converter with it.
I think shifter is TCI's Outlaw pistol shifter from some Chevy and rear gear is a highway friendly 3.89(right)

Hyvinkää, FI
MoonShadow
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
Thanks for the information but I'm a visual person and need pictures, if you can provide them, of where the drain holes were drilled. I'm running the AOD block plate modified to fit the block so the torque converter area is covered. I'm pretty sure the starter problems are from water getting in and setting. Need ideas to stop this. It's a pain taking out the starter each year prior to storage. Chuck

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
kansas
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (337 reputation)Supercharged (337 reputation)Supercharged (337 reputation)Supercharged (337 reputation)Supercharged (337 reputation)Supercharged (337 reputation)Supercharged (337 reputation)Supercharged (337 reputation)Supercharged (337 reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago
did aod up grade on my 55 fairlane this winter also did 9 inch rear end with 3;10 gear at 70 I now run 1800rpm also mpg went from 13 to 19 just installed a cruise control for the long drives everthing works great I used a bendtsen's kit/I think he's the only one that has a kit for the aod
paul2748
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 8 hours ago
I used a Flat-O-Matic kit for a C4 in my 56 TBird. Everything fit great - the rear mount from Flat-o worked without any mods and everything bolted up. Used the TBird shifter which connected with only minor mods. I was able to use the TBird downshift rod after some mods and used the C-4 fill tube by just bending it a little and welding a bracket on the bellhousing to old it in place. The wires on the C-4 neutral safety switch matched up with the electrical system (even same color coded wires) as well as the wires on the switch for the back up lights.

Had two problems, one which I knew there would be and that was no manual 1st because of the detents in the Tbird shifter. Not a big thing with me as long as I could shift down into 2nd. The other was the starter. I had to shim it out a little bit because the teeth on the starter was hitting the flywheel under hard acceleration.

Very happy with the kit and the trans.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Reading This Topic

Site Meter