Profile Picture

Question for Sun Valley and Skyliner guys

Posted By BudMan 11 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (144 reputation)Supercharged (144 reputation)Supercharged (144 reputation)Supercharged (144 reputation)Supercharged (144 reputation)Supercharged (144 reputation)Supercharged (144 reputation)Supercharged (144 reputation)Supercharged (144 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Hi - I just finished reading an old issue of "Auto Restorer" (September 2000, Volume 12, Number 8) that had an article on the 1954 Mercury Sun Valley. I am about half way through the restoration process on one of these. Anyway, the article contained the following quote - "The Sun Valley does not share its green-tinted Plexiglas panel with any of the '54-56 Skyliners, or even the 1955 Sun Valley....". Last year, I bought a repro top from a manufacturer in Dallas Texas. I also talked to a manufacturer in Vancouver Canada. Both manufacturers told me that the tops were interchangable between the Sun Valley and the Skyliner. I haven't installed the top yet. That's still several months away. Have any of you Sun Valley or Skyliner owners replaced the top? Are the tops really different or is the magazine article wrong? I would be interested in knowing what your experience on top replacement has been. The article also said that the bumpers were unique to a Sun Valley but I am mostly concerned about the top. I have about $800 invested in the top and if it isn't going to fit, I will not be happy! Thanks!

BudMan

When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty
PF Arcand
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
I know a few years ago a CVA member & restorer out of Puyallup Wash was working with a plastics manufacturer outside of Vancouver B.C. to make repops. I believe (?) they used a 54 Ford for their mock up. Later, when it came to trial fitting the new piece, it didn't fit! But, I suspect the model they tried to fit it too, may have been a 55 or 56 Ford that was under retoration & without a glass insert in place. But that info is not certain. Apparently the manufacturer was very upset, & I'm under the impression the project was dropped, but that's not for certain either. I have not heard anything further as the instigator of the project was last known to be in poor health..

Paul
iowa fords
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (252 reputation)Supercharged (252 reputation)Supercharged (252 reputation)Supercharged (252 reputation)Supercharged (252 reputation)Supercharged (252 reputation)Supercharged (252 reputation)Supercharged (252 reputation)Supercharged (252 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
The glass insert for the 54 Ford and Merc were the same.  Not sure about 55 or 56

tom in iowa

54 Merc wagon

54 sunvalley
BudMan
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (144 reputation)Supercharged (144 reputation)Supercharged (144 reputation)Supercharged (144 reputation)Supercharged (144 reputation)Supercharged (144 reputation)Supercharged (144 reputation)Supercharged (144 reputation)Supercharged (144 reputation)

Hi Paul - I talked to the guys in Vancouver last year in June and they were making and selling repo plastic tops. The company name is Archer Plastics. Their email is wes@archer_plastics.com. I talked to Peter Brear at 604-253-7081. I ended up buying a top from Pollard Plastics in Dallas. The contact there was Gregg at 214-428-8500. I may call both of them back and question them again about interchangeability. I have a third source but I was never able to make a connection with them. What I have is Formtec Plastics, 1000 Industrial Drive, in Martinsville, IN 46151-8095. I couldn't find a phone number for them. Maybe this info will be of use to someone wanting to replace their cracked and crazed top.

BudMan

Lou
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
1954 Ford and Mercury interchange, 55/56 Ford and Mercury interchange. 1954 is a stand alone year.
STX
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (88 reputation)Supercharged (88 reputation)Supercharged (88 reputation)Supercharged (88 reputation)Supercharged (88 reputation)Supercharged (88 reputation)Supercharged (88 reputation)Supercharged (88 reputation)Supercharged (88 reputation)

Last Active: 10 Years Ago
Hello,I'm new at the forum.
The 55/56 glass tops are Crown Victorias, that are shorter than the 1955 Mercury. So they do not interchange, but I believe a 1955 Mercury plexiglass roof could be cut to fit the Ford.

From Sweden, the country with glass tops.
There are approx. 40 real 1956 Crown Victoria Skyliner (64B) plus some 1955 here, plus a bunch of converted 64A's. Then there are at least 15 1955 Mercury Sun Valleys. Then there are of course a lot of 1954 Ford Skyliners and Mercury Sun Valleys.

1955 Mercury
Daddys_Barn
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)

Last Active: 11 Years Ago
From what I remember; The 54 Ford and 54 Merc, have a much different shape roof from the 55 and 56 Crown. They are much taller from the Windshield up.(fatter) I don't believe they will interchange. Maybe Dennis Carpenter can answer that question.
jones53078
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Time Poster

First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago
what was the company's names for the aftermarket glass roof?
BudMan
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Update - The top I got for my '54 Sun Valley from Pollard Plastics in Dallas fit very well. Very happy with it.

BudMan
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

See previous posts to this thread for supplier info.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter