Profile Picture

What rims to use?

Posted By jrw429 12 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (176 reputation)Supercharged (176 reputation)Supercharged (176 reputation)Supercharged (176 reputation)Supercharged (176 reputation)Supercharged (176 reputation)Supercharged (176 reputation)Supercharged (176 reputation)Supercharged (176 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
I've seen many discussions on how large a tire can be run. But I haven't seen much discussion of where to find wheels for these tires. I have a 57 wagon, and thus (I believe) I have the 14"x5.5" rims with 5x4.5" bolt circle. 57 passenger cars apparently had the same thing except 5" wide wheels. This comes from a thread on the HAMB regarding stock Ford steel wheels. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115542.

I'd like to go to 15" wheels, largely because the selection and price of 15" radials is much better than 14". I'd like them to clear an eventual upgrade to disc brakes. I'd like them to also work with the existing 4 wheel manual drums I have now. I'd like them to hold my current stock hub caps. I'm not sure what a good width would be - fat tires are not a priority, as the car is mostly highway driven on long trips. Additionally, I realize that backspacing makes a big difference, at least with non-stock wheels. So... recommendations?

Jim - Erie Colorado, 1957 Country Sedan
Frankenstein57
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (159 reputation)Supercharged (159 reputation)Supercharged (159 reputation)Supercharged (159 reputation)Supercharged (159 reputation)Supercharged (159 reputation)Supercharged (159 reputation)Supercharged (159 reputation)Supercharged (159 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
I used a set of explorer wheels, with 215/65/15 radials. The wheels are plentiful, craigslist has lots of them being parted out. They go on and off the rear drums no problem, due to the larger center. I believe they are7" wide, mine were closer to 7 1/2. Not sure of the back spacing. Now that my car is repainted, I'll look for some nicer wheels.

thanks, Mark
YellowWing
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (296 reputation)Supercharged (296 reputation)Supercharged (296 reputation)Supercharged (296 reputation)Supercharged (296 reputation)Supercharged (296 reputation)Supercharged (296 reputation)Supercharged (296 reputation)Supercharged (296 reputation)

Last Active: 11 Years Ago
Jim, I currently run a set of Cragar 15X6 0 offset rims with 215/75/r15 tires. I have drop spindles in the front so occasionally the front tires hit the front fenders on a full lock turn. I am ordering a new set of Cragars in 15X7 with a +6mm offset will be using 215/70/r15 tires and should have plenty of clearance. Mike

1956 Fairlane Victoria (ORREO)

Overlooking Beautiful Rimrock AZ

Reading This Topic

Site Meter