Profile Picture

Lincoln 368

Posted By Louie B 12 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 11 Years Ago
Any idea what a good price for a 368 Lincoln would be... Would you go for it or a standard 292-312
Oldmics
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Well according to eBay -OUR FAVORITE PRICE DISPENCER Crazy

This brand new short block went for $3800.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-368-Y-Block-Shortblock-Engine-56-57-Lincoln-Continental-Mark-II-2-FoMoCo-WOW-/280969600752?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&nma=true&si=ze9NrQOaQC%2Bstmt%2BXDBlUdD8S9E%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Just sayin

Oldmics

pegleg
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Louie, Which one would depend on what you're going to do with it or to it!

Frank/Rebop

Bristol, In ( by Elkhart) 

Louie B
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)

I am building a 55 Merc Montclair... It's going to be a pretty modified custom... We are taking about 3 inches out of the top and a few out of the sides... I want it to cruise pretty nice but be able to leave some rubber on the road if I need to. The guy wants $600 for the 368 and auto trans complete with all accessories. Says it ran long ago... But I guess they all did. Seems like a 368 will walk a modified 312, right? It is important to use a y block since I have thrown small block Chevys in everything I have ever built. I am looking for a more period correct look and sound for this one though and have fallen in love with the y block sound.
charliemccraney
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 6 hours ago
Louie B (10/4/2012)
Seems like a 368 will walk a modified 312, right?

Define modified. With all of the speed parts available for a Y, and the lack thereof for a 368, a 312 can easily outperform a 368. Everything else being equal, more cubes always win, but this is not a level playing field. The replacement for displacement is better technology and compared to a Lincoln Y, the Ford has the better technology.

Lawrenceville, GA
Louie B
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

I want to thank all of you guys for the input!... You guys are great!!!.. Seems like it would cost a couple grand for a 312 to catch a 368 on the street.... If money wasn't an issue.. I would love to throw some aluminum heads on a stroker with a fancy intake. In fact I will at some point... Have any of you ever run a 368?
PF Arcand
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Louis: You're making an assumption about the costing of doing a Y-Blk Ford versus the 368 Y that may not be your best move. What condition is the 368 in? Likely needs a complete re do for a start.. There are people on here that are into Lincolns, but they specilize in them. It's somehat hard to do a Y-Blk & even harder to deal with a Lincoln. Plus u will need to modify your chassis some to fit the Lincoln.. the advice given to stay with the Ford is likely the best way to go.. and good power can be had there without braking the bank, thanks to people like our moderator Ted & Y-Blk part supplier John Mummert etc.       

Paul
charliemccraney
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 6 hours ago
I agree with Paul. And since you will at some point throw some aluminum heads on a stroker with a fancy intake, find a 292 or 312. When you're done, that 368 won't hold a candle to it. Put that $600 plus the rebuild cost toward a Ford Y - it'll save money in the long run. You can start with a good running stock engine. When you have the cash, have the short block built. When you have more cash, get the heads and intake.

Lawrenceville, GA
ejstith
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (567 reputation)Supercharged (567 reputation)Supercharged (567 reputation)Supercharged (567 reputation)Supercharged (567 reputation)Supercharged (567 reputation)Supercharged (567 reputation)Supercharged (567 reputation)Supercharged (567 reputation)

Last Active: 10 Years Ago
But then again, it would be different. You finally got away from stickin' a scrub in everything so it would definitely be a bold move. A '55 Montclair already has a short top on it so 3" out of that is going to be a SHORT top. Sounds interesting though. Bill Stroop used to make those old Y-block Lincolns go like a bat out of hell.

Doing Fords for 45 years. '56 Customline Victoria

E.J. in Havana FL
11thOhio
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Time Poster

First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Check Mummert Y Block. He has All kinds of speed parts for the Y. The may even have crate motors for much cheaper than trying to find & build a 368. I read somewhere that the 368 can be bored & stroked to 425ci, but did not say where on parts. I have a full boat 56 Crown Victoria Convertible with all options plus a few added like power locks & windows. The 341 stroker with aluminum heads, intake, water pump, etc runs like a scalded dog. Also dressed stock with optional & detailed aluminum valve covers. TKO 500 Trans is the bomb. Your car would be a screamer with the TKO 500 or AOD. Check out Mummert

Reading This Topic

Site Meter