Profile Picture

Atlanta Dragway Test and Tune

Posted By charliemccraney 12 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 16 minutes ago
I made it to Atlanta Dragway tonight.  It was a pretty inconclusive night.  No improvement.  In fact, it is slower.
It was very busy and I could only make two passes.  Both times I spun and had to let off, which killed the 60'.  My best run of the night had better 60'-1320' times than previous runs with similar et's, so maybe that means something.  I'm also think it was just spinning easier, which means I need to tackle the traction, and at least get posi before I go back.

Lawrenceville, GA
CK
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 8 Years Ago
This is a great link regarding traction.
http://www.how-to-build-hotrods.com/tuning-4-link.html
MoonShadow
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
So spinning the two tries was a little something new. Perhaps you are making more hp and its effecting your traction. Time to get serious about that. Chuck

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
charliemccraney
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Spinning is nothing new, but it seemed to be happening more easily, even on the street.

My friends had not arrived for my first run, so I did that with the spare tire, some tools, and a few spare parts, maybe 150-200lbs extra, and my 60' was .200s better than the unloaded 2nd run.  MPH and et was about the same.  If it were a better, more experienced driver, that would definitely mean something, but I'm not that good, yet.  There is still the chance that the result suggests traction is at least a part of the issue.

Of all the things I've changed, the only things that are really ambiguous are the secondary jet change, carb spacer change and required air filter change to fit the spacer.  Those are easy enough to put back to the old configuration for testing.  Everything else, with the exception of the water pump pulley should increase output.

Thanks for the link, CK.  This truck will probably not have a 4-link ever, so I won't be able to put much of that to use.  I do have what I think are the best traction bars available, Cal-tracs, and when setup with the right combination of parts, these handily get vehicles into the 11's, faster than I ever plan to go in the truck.  They do have a few adjustments to play with, which I will play with at some point, but not like a 4-link.  First I will get some form of positraction so that both wheels can contribute to the forward motion.  Hopefully that will be enough for now that traction can be eliminated as a reason it is slowing down.  That will be a good, relatively easy winter project, so I can try to get back to the track soon after it opens next year.

Lawrenceville, GA
John Mummert
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
I'd be surprised if a 2" 4hole spacer helped at the dragstrip. Probably feels good on the street with added power at low rpm but high rpm power will likely suffer.

http://ford-y-block.com 

20 miles east of San Diego, 20 miles north of Mexico

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/2c0ef4dd-5dd8-408e-ba0d-74f6.jpg

charliemccraney
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I had considered that.  It's so close to the end of the season now, and so busy that there really isn't much time for tuning, so I picked what I thought would do what I wanted and it didn't.  My hope, given that I know I do not have the traction for any kind of launch, was that the 4-hole spacer would help me get off the line quicker, and perhaps all of the other things would at least keep the top end the same as before.
I have lots of spacers now, so I hope to get there during a less crowded day to try different ones.

Looking back at past time slips, this run is one of the slowest 60' I've had, 2.703 (best 2.428) but near the top in mph, 89.94mph, 1.14mph slower than my best.

Lawrenceville, GA
CK
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago

I've heard great things about the cal-tracs. Alternatively Nascar uses truck arms, these seem interesting.
I would consider an open spacer for the drag strip and maybe for the street if your wheel spinning there too.
And consider if your having traction issues now, when you do change the diff and both wheels become engaged be prepared to slip and slide when it spins, especially in the wet.
Taller diff gears could help too if you plan to stick with low rpm torque.
I'm pretty keen to fit my posi too.
What cam are you running again?

charliemccraney
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I have the repop blower cam.
I'll test spacers some day, but the next trip to the track has to have everything the same, with the exception of positraction.  I'd also rather address a traction issue with something that increases traction, rather than doing something that decreases torque.  My plan, ultimately, is to inject and turbocharge, so I'm going to need the traction.  May as well take care of it now.  I've contacted Moser, and their 31 spline axles will do the job for my plans.
Not concerned about slipping and sliding as it will do that just fine right now.  Hopefully, by it's very nature, positraction will reduce the number of instances of that slipping and sliding.
The gears will definitely need to be shorter for racing, and since I have a 9", I can easily swap between street and strip gears.  I suspect that I will also need shorter gears for the street, to fit the power band of the engine and tall overdrive better.

Lawrenceville, GA
tomfiii
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
It is slick at times ,but workers just tell you to adjust your vehicle to track!
yehaabill
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (468 reputation)Supercharged (468 reputation)Supercharged (468 reputation)Supercharged (468 reputation)Supercharged (468 reputation)Supercharged (468 reputation)Supercharged (468 reputation)Supercharged (468 reputation)Supercharged (468 reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Charley, I made set of Cal-Trac copies and they stopped all the axle hop...I haven't tried them at the strip yet
            I've got a small engine/electrical problem we're trying to iron out........check out the latest issue of :Hot Rod"
            nice hi-dollar "Slick" in there....

Bill

Pelham,Al

Reading This Topic

Site Meter