Profile Picture

Atlanta Dragway Test and Tune

Posted By charliemccraney 12 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Sounds like a good time Charlie.  Nice to know the truck is faster than the Firechicken. Smile

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/b1f2e0d6-2566-46b3-b81d-3ff3.jpg   God Bless. Smile  Tim                           http://yblockguy.com/

350ci Y-Block FED "Elwood", 301ci Y-Block Unibody LSR "Jake", 312ci Y-Block '58 F-100, 338ci Y-Block powered Model A Tudor

tim@yblockguy.com  Visalia, California    Just west of the Sequoias

charliemccraney
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
charliemccraney (9/21/2012)
After the last run, the valve train seems to have gotten a little louder but it didn't get any worse during the 50 mile trip back home. I'll take a look at that this weekend.

So apparently "this weekend" is 4 months later. I finally took a look and the valve train looks fine for once! Valve noise and exhaust leaks sound pretty similar so I'm going to pull the headers to see if I find any sign of an exhaust leak but I can't find my 5/16 socket for the header bolts today. I'll pick one up later in the week. It's been 4 or 5 weeks since I've driven it and I need to run the fuel through and fill up with fresh stuff, anyway.

Lawrenceville, GA
charliemccraney
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

I got a new best tonight, 15.263 @ 91.08mph.  Also a best 1/8th and 60'.  It was busy and I got there late and only got two runs but both were better than before.

The changes since my last best are bringing the total timing in 800rpm sooner and disconnecting and plugging the vacuum advance.  I discovered the vacuum advance trick at Columbus last year but had not yet tried it with higher shiftpoints.  I shift lower at Columbus.

Up next is a 4.11 gear.

Lawrenceville, GA
Glen Henderson
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
That is great Charlie, what is your rpm limit?

Glen Henderson

Freedom is not Free

Letohatchee, AL
charliemccraney
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

What do you mean?  I was shifting at 5500rpm.  I haven't tried higher but lower and it slows down.

One thing I thought was weird is my previous, I was going through the traps at about 6200rpm but last night is was only about 5700rpm.  Since the mph was the same, I don't really get that. 

Lawrenceville, GA
pegleg
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Tachometer problem?

Frank/Rebop

Bristol, In ( by Elkhart) 

pintoplumber
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

You forgot and shifted into 5th.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/3047f5ac-add1-4e79-a3ed-14ea.jpg  Dennis in Lititz PA
Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Charlie:

Have you changed tire sizes since the earlier runs?  That'll change rpm.  Also, were the previous runs at the same track?  Clocks could be set up differently from track to track.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
charliemccraney
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Same tires, same track.  I guess it could be the tach or my memory.

Lawrenceville, GA
charliemccraney
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Haven't been back, yet, just documenting changes since the last run before I loose track.  Hopefully it will be enough little things to get me into the 14s.
No rear gear change, yet. Thought it might be worthwhile to tune some more.

Changed from 20w50 conventional to 15W40 synthetic blend oil.
Installed Innovators West Damper.
Installed smaller diameter water pump pulley.  This one hurts power.
Indexed spark plugs.
Corrected rocker geometry.
Increased secondary jets 2 numbers.
Changed carb spacer from 1/2" divided to 2" 4-hole.
Installed a 14" air cleaner assembly, which does not work with the K&N Stub Stack I have been using.

Lawrenceville, GA

Reading This Topic

Site Meter