Profile Picture

57 Bird Master Cylinder/Booster combo

Posted By MarkMontereyBay 12 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Getting ready to do the front Granada disc brake conversion on my Bird. I am hoping to find a Ford master cylinder/power booster application that will fit. I know about the Corvette parts but really want to keep GM stuff off my car. I have Sanderson headers so the need for the master cylinder/booster to be tilted up and away from the stock exhaust manifold isn't a big issue. I read somewhere that 90's Ford Ranger system fits. Anybody have some info on this?

57 Black Tbird 312/auto

bird55
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Mark, fyi I have discs on my bird and went without the Booster. Stops great and I can't imagine having the need for a booster, but just sayin'. Then you wouldn't have the space or clearance issues.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/d8028aa4-f8f9-4981-9e51-4428.jpg
       A  L  A  N   F  R  A  K  E  S   ~  Tulsa, OK    

MarkMontereyBay
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)

Alan,

Ya know...I may be coming around to your way of thinking. What master cylinder are you using?

57 Black Tbird 312/auto

paul2748
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I have a 54 Ford and did the Granada swap. I went with manual, not power. Stops great. I have stock Granada master cylinder for non-power brakes. If you have a stock booster, you can plumb that with the front brakes only, leaving the rears non-power. No experience on this, but I have it heard that it works good.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

MarkMontereyBay
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Yep...I went around and around over this last year. Had to set the project down to endure some medical treatment for 8 months but back on my feet now and feeling good. My car has a Mummert 270 cam and idle vacuum is marginal for power disc brakes, or so I have read, although the power drum brakes work fine now. The stock booster may not do the job. If the manual set up stops a 54 Ford it should stop a 57 Bird. I see that Rockauto lists manual front disc/rear drum master cylinder for the 77 Granada. I want to use a stock Ford brake combination valve block that includes the pressure differential valve with the proportioning valve. The pressure differential valve isolates the front or back brakes if one of them springs a large leak. Safety issue. Also has the brake warning light switch. So..the manual front disc/rear drum master cylinder and a combo valve from a Granada may be the best compromise. I can't remember the last time I drove a car with manual disc/drum brakes.

Searching around today I came across this link with some good info and pics:

http://home.comcast.net/~Y-Block/1960BoosterSetup/default.htm

57 Black Tbird 312/auto

Richard Palmer
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)

Last Active: 11 Years Ago
Mark, I installed front disc brakes from a '75 Granada on my '57 t'bird a number of years ago. Used Bendix dual master cylinder, P/N 11680 (Purchased from Napa Auto Parts.) Stayed with all stock drums/wheel cylinders at rear. Highly recommend a combination valve. Bought mine from Master Power Brakes, P/N VL 3350 for Ford Disc/Drum combo. Combination valve is 3 valves in one (Metering, Proportioning, and residual). Check them out at www.mpbrakes.com. I do not have a power boost...Dont need it. FYI..I also have Sanderson Ceramic Headers which gives me plenty of clearance over the stock exhaust manifolds..Hope this helps you with your decisions..P.S. System works great!! No regrets.. Dick Palmer

1957 T'Bird, 312, 4 speed B-W , T-10
MarkMontereyBay
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Richard,

Thanks for the information and the part numbers. I think you and the others who have manual brakes have convinced me. The reamer from Speedway came last week so it is time to break down the Granada stuff to get rebuilt loaded calipers, new rotors, bearings, etc. The weather has been so good on the coast here I haven't wanted to take the Bird apart and have it stuck in the garage. I guess I will box up the Treadlevac System for storage.

57 Black Tbird 312/auto

BIGREDTODD
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (349 reputation)Supercharged (349 reputation)Supercharged (349 reputation)Supercharged (349 reputation)Supercharged (349 reputation)Supercharged (349 reputation)Supercharged (349 reputation)Supercharged (349 reputation)Supercharged (349 reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
MarkMontereyBay (8/21/2012)
Richard,

Thanks for the information and the part numbers. I think you and the others who have manual brakes have convinced me. The reamer from Speedway came last week so it is time to break down the Granada stuff to get rebuilt loaded calipers, new rotors, bearings, etc. The weather has been so good on the coast here I haven't wanted to take the Bird apart and have it stuck in the garage. I guess I will box up the Treadlevac System for storage.

Mark,

Another vote for manual brakes. I have the stock drum/drum set-up on mine. Regardless of what configuration, keep in mind the exit location of the lines. I used a '68 Mustang m/c with exits on the driver's side to avoid the exhaust (I used the Sandersons as well, HIGHLY recommended) but found that the stock battery tray was too close for lines, let alone the proportioning valve. I offset the factory battery tray mounting by one hole on the inner fender (inner battery tray hole mounts through the outer wheel house hole). The firewall mounts remain stock. Bought me just enough room to keep the factory style group 32 battery, heat shield, etc.

Something to think about in advance, because I sure didn'tWink

Todd in Central California...about half way between Fresno and Sacramento

1956 Thunderbird - 1960 F-100 - 1961 Starliner - 1961 Imperial

Reading This Topic

Site Meter