Profile Picture

292 Y block to a Ford 303 3 speed transmission

Posted By craigibc 12 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 10 Years Ago
I tried this on the HAMB and not getting alot of results. Hoping you guys can help me out!

All,

I have a 292 Y block and I need a bellhousing to connect the 303 transmission to the yblock. I found one for sale and I want to verify from you y block guys that I am buying the right bellhousing. I have a line on a two different standard shift bellhousings the part # AG-6394-B and AE-6394-E.

Any insight?

Also I have the complete yblock 4 speed truck setup and it is all new. Can I use the clutch fork from the 4 speed or do I need to purchase a different one? How about the clutch and all the other goodies? Can I use anything from the current setup or do I purchase all new parts? If so what parts do I need?

Craig
charliemccraney
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 1 hour ago
Is this going in a truck?

Lawrenceville, GA
craigibc
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)

Last Active: 10 Years Ago
It is going into a 27 Model T project.
Dave V
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (445 reputation)Supercharged (445 reputation)Supercharged (445 reputation)Supercharged (445 reputation)Supercharged (445 reputation)Supercharged (445 reputation)Supercharged (445 reputation)Supercharged (445 reputation)Supercharged (445 reputation)

Last Active: 10 hours ago
I made this conversion in my 56 Victoria. All I had to do was turn down the bearing retainer on the front of the transmission on my lathe so that it would fit the index hole in the 56 bellhousing. The mounting bolt pattern was the same.  Dave

SE Wis
charliemccraney
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 1 hour ago
The 303 should bolt to any 3 speed Y bell. The catch may be the input shaft length. Compare that to the length of the truck setup you have and that will let you know if you need a truck or car 3 speed bellhousing. Compare the clutch spline and diameter and pressure plate bolt pattern. That will let you know if the clutch will work. The clutch fork you have will only work with truck bellhousings.

There could be other issues but they should be very minor because I believe the 303 was used only one year with Y blocks, and that was '64, in trucks so odds are that it will not be for a Y. I'm not 100% sure about that, though.

Lawrenceville, GA
carl
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Craig

The bellhousing that you said you wanted is boxed up ready to ship just waiting on the Fed Ex label from you.The one i will ship is AE - 6394 - E ,I sold the other one i had Carl
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I made this conversion in my '56 ford pickup.  Like Charlie said I used the 3.03 out of a 1964 F100 with a 1 3/8" ten spline input shaft and it bolts right up to the truck three speed bellhousing with no modifications necessary.  I did put a diaphram type clutch in it from Superior Friction out of San Jose, CA but believe the stock one would have worked.  I even retained the stock manual clutch linkage.  I just had to make up bracket that bolted to the transmission.  If it is a car 3.03 the input shaft is smaller and a different lenght.  You will have to make some clutch/flywheel modifications.  Goodluck!

1956 F100 Big Window 309ci Y-block,  1956 F100 small window 272ci Y-block

Greg.  Mountains of North Eastern CA

Reading This Topic

Site Meter