Profile Picture

Aluminum head spark plug torque

Posted By Ted 12 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday

This is for Marv.  I’m having trouble with the private messaging so I’m posting the answer to your question here.

By the book and for aluminum heads, 8-12 lbs/ft torque for spark plug tightening.    Be sure to use anti-seize on the threads.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

marvh
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Thanks Ted.

marv
Ted
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Charlie sent me this link to a NGK technical bulletin.  It’s worth reading in regards to spark plug plating and the use of anti-seize with certain spark plugs.  http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/pdf/TB-0630111antisieze.pdf 

Ted
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

In looking at the AFR instructions for their heads, they do not recommend using torque wrenches on the aluminum heads when installing the spark plugs.

Here’s the exact text from their instructions:

Intake, exhaust bolts, and spark plugs: We suggest not using a torque wrench on these locations as commonly inaccurate torque wrench values can easily strip the smaller threads.  Just snug up hand tight with a wrench only.

pegleg
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Which is exactly why many of the early Detroit aluminum heads used "threadserts." The much larger od threads would stand a lot more torque on the bolts and the steel threadserts could handle repetitive use.

Frank/Rebop

Bristol, In ( by Elkhart) 

charliemccraney
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 14 minutes ago
Then the only problem is what is "hand tight." A guy my size probably couldn't do any damage but what about someone 50 - 100lbs bigger?

Lawrenceville, GA
aussiebill
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
charliemccraney (6/2/2012)
Then the only problem is what is "hand tight." A guy my size probably couldn't do any damage but what about someone 50 - 100lbs bigger?

Charlie, bit like thinking about how hard do you squeeze an egg, like anything there is a feel related tension, tighten to light nip then tighten slowly till you feel it get harder, not keep going indefinitly, then another nip and should do it, its not in tension like a bolt and nut, i would never use a tension wrench on any bolts under 3/8", thats my take on it. Smile

AussieBill            YYYY    Forever Y Block     YYYY

Down Under, Australia

MoonShadow
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 7 hours ago
I use a 3/8" ratchet and hold it by the head instead of the handle. Works on intakes, spark plugs etc.. Works for me! Chuck

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
charliemccraney
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 14 minutes ago
But that's the problem, Bill, you have to break a few eggs before you get the feel for how tight you can hold one. Hand tight doesn't give any kind of reference for someone without experience. At least with a clicker wrench there is some reference. I'd hate to be the guy who stripped my bran new heads because I got them what I thought was hand tight. It's open to interpretation, and that is where I see an issue. Not everyone who tackles the job will have years of experience and know the feel or have developed a method.

Lawrenceville, GA
aussiebill
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
charliemccraney (6/2/2012)
But that's the problem, Bill, you have to break a few eggs before you get the feel for how tight you can hold one. Hand tight doesn't give any kind of reference for someone without experience. At least with a clicker wrench there is some reference. I'd hate to be the guy who stripped my bran new heads because I got them what I thought was hand tight. It's open to interpretation, and that is where I see an issue. Not everyone who tackles the job will have years of experience and know the feel or have developed a method.

Charlie, you,re exactley right on all points, does require some expeirence, i would just assume most car guys have some feel for tightness. We,re into autumn fall here, raining and miserable. best regards bill.Smile

AussieBill            YYYY    Forever Y Block     YYYY

Down Under, Australia

Reading This Topic

Site Meter