Profile Picture

Motor mounts

Posted By heavy 12 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 12 Years Ago
I read somewhere fe mounts work on yblocks. Is that just the stock mounts? I found some nos hurst mounts and am wondering if they'll work? This is a yblock going in a model A frame.

Thanks Chris
Ted
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 4 days ago

If it’s a FE mount for the front of the engine, then it will not work on a Y.  If it’s a mount that attaches to the side bosses on the FE, the chances are good that these will also work with a Y.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

heavy
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)

Last Active: 12 Years Ago
Thanks Ted that was my fear. They're front mount.
sprink88
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Does that mean it goes the other way where a y block motor mount would work on an FE engine?

1957 Fairlane
Ted
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

sprink88 (6/30/2012)
Does that mean it goes the other way where a y block motor mount would work on an FE engine?

That’s a Yes.  The 1964 and earlier FE motor mount bosses on the blocks are in the same location and same spacing as those on the Y.  That part at least makes engine swapping between the two engine families reasonably easy on the 1955 thru 1964 Ford and Mercury cars.

MoonShadow
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 47 minutes ago
I don't remember Fe's with front mounts. I thought Ford stopped that after 1956? As I recall when swapping a FE into a Y-Block car you can reverse the mounts side to side, rotate them 180deg, and they work. Thats why I was wondering if a FE cross mount for a hot rod would work for a Y-Block in a hot rod? Of course the front mount (Hurst) allows a greater availability of exhaust manifolds/headers. Chuck

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
charliemccraney
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 28 minutes ago
I think some FEs had "truck" mounts for only a couple years. Woulda been mid 60s if I'm remembering the right info. Actually, now that I'm thinking about it it may be the 240 I6 that was that way.

Lawrenceville, GA
Ted
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

MoonShadow (7/1/2012)
I don't remember Fe's with front mounts. I thought Ford stopped that after 1956? As I recall when swapping a FE into a Y-Block car you can reverse the mounts side to side, rotate them 180deg, and they work. Thats why I was wondering if a FE cross mount for a hot rod would work for a Y-Block in a hot rod? Of course the front mount (Hurst) allows a greater availability of exhaust manifolds/headers. Chuck

Chuck.  I’m talking about the side mount applications being the same.  The front mounts using the timing cover for FE and Y-Block are obviously different.

MoonShadow
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 47 minutes ago
Ted

I understood the side mount part. Thats where I was told to do the side to side swap. Something about a spacing difference on the motor mount studs. Although I've never done this myself and it may be an old wives tail. I'm sure you have done more than a few. Chuck

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire

RB35
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (78 reputation)Supercharged (78 reputation)Supercharged (78 reputation)Supercharged (78 reputation)Supercharged (78 reputation)Supercharged (78 reputation)Supercharged (78 reputation)Supercharged (78 reputation)Supercharged (78 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Heavy,

I'm working on a 292 in a '29 boxed frame.  Were you planning on cutting the firewall to make it fit?  I went through all sorts of mock ups and ended up moving the front x-member a few inches forward t us a stock type fan and have the last exhaust ports in front of the cowl.  I made my own m-mounts from a pic on the HAMB.  Two plates held at 45 degrees by side plates.  First pic shows engine setback so radiator/x-mem is in stock location.

This shows relocation of x-mem/radiator so exhaust clears firewall-some dimpling still reqired.

RB

Reading This Topic

Site Meter