Profile Picture

High Mount Fan Ass'y

Posted By Noob 13 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 9 Years Ago
I would like to have the fan on my `56 build better centered on the rad... I have a rebuilt, possibly NOS high mount water pump for my 292 y, but no fan spindle/pulley mount. Sad

I've seen a variety of spindle set-ups for flat heads, some with 3-blade fans, some with four.  Anybody know if any of these would these work on a y-block set up?

Brian

Cylinder Index = 84

Current Experiment = `57 Tbird, Grand Rapids, Michigan

John Mummert
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Brian, the 54 & 55 pick-ups and some later HD trucks used the high mount fans. There is a specific crank pulley that goes along with it.

The fan is driven by a large V belt and the pump and generator was driven by a separate narrow belt.

http://ford-y-block.com 

20 miles east of San Diego, 20 miles north of Mexico

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/2c0ef4dd-5dd8-408e-ba0d-74f6.jpg

Noob
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)

So it sounds model/year specific, but does that mean the flathead highmount spindle/pulley WONT work at all, or wont work without significant modification? I guess it comes down to the dimension of the slot spread on the bracket so that it would fit the pump flange, and then the offset/depth of the the pully so that the belt would line up.

Anybody know whether this item is interchangeable between flathead and y-block application.... or can anybody give me the dimensions of the slot spread and pulley groove offset for the flathead assembly?

Brian

Cylinder Index = 84

Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 10 hours ago
Brian:

I'm going from memory here, but I believe the flathead bracket slots are much closer together than the Y block ones.  Adapting one is probably possible, but it' not a bolt on.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg

Noob
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks John/John for your replies... I'll be keeping my eye open for a year specific ass'y, and may well "invest" in a reasonable flathead version to see if it fits or how to adapt.  Will try to rememeber to update this post upon conclusion in case anyone else needs to know.

Cheers... Brian

Cylinder Index = 84

John Mummert
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Brian, check the diameter of the impeller on the pump you have. It might be the 1954 239 pump with the small impeller.

http://ford-y-block.com 

20 miles east of San Diego, 20 miles north of Mexico

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/2c0ef4dd-5dd8-408e-ba0d-74f6.jpg

gekko13
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago
Noob, back in the day I owned a '46 Ford 3/4 ton flatbed truck that had the fan setup you describe.  It bolted on just below the generator on the flathead V-8.  There was a mounting boss at the front of the intake manifold that held the fan and generator.  This is approximately where the thermostat housing is on a typical Y-block.  Some sort of mount would have to be fabricated to accommodate all that.  It did have a 6 blade fan though- as I recall.  To each his own but, it seems like a lot of bother when a good electric fan would probably suffice.  JMO
HT32BSX115
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Brian,

If you're still looking for it, I have the correct high mount fan, damper and bracket for a 56 272/292 etc.....and I sent you a PM.

For a pickup, it's the right one.

If you're putting it in a car, the fan will probably be too high on the radiator.

Regards,

Rick

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1955 F-600/272/E4OD// Disclaimer: No animals were injured while test driving my F-600 except the ones I ran over intentionally!

---------------------
This post was created using OpenSuSE Linux x64 and Firefox

Noob
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks Rick... very difficult to find, thou I didnt get lucky on a NORS/Reman a short while ago.  I may go a different way as described in my PM to you, but I really do appreciate the follow-up offer.

Cheers... Brian

Cylinder Index = 84

Reading This Topic

Site Meter