Profile Picture

Lincoln Versailles What can I use?

Posted By brassspike 13 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (9 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (9 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (9 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (9 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (9 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (9 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (9 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (9 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (9 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 8 Years Ago
I just got hold of a Lincoln Versailles. The body is trash but all of the mechanicals are there. I'm sure everything is worn out and will need rebuilding. I am aware that some things like the brakes will work on my 55 ford car but what else? I'll have to pull what I can off asap and send the rest to the junk yard so any help is greatly appreciated!
MarkMontereyBay
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Regarding the Versailles front disc brakes and spindles. I met Brent Vandervort of Fatman Fabrications at the West Coast Street Rod Nationals in Pleasanton, Ca a few weeks ago. We talked about his dropped spindles, etc. He said that unlike Granada/Monarchs, the Lincoln Versailles lower ball joint is from a full size Lincoln and won't fit a 57 Tbird. Too large and would have to be shimmed. I looked around for a set of the Versailles spindles without luck thankfully and have a set of Granada/Monarch assemblies waiting to be rebuilt and reamed. The rear end from the Versailles has been sought after for the 9 inch and rear disc brakes. I would hang on to the whole rear with cables, etc.

57 Black Tbird 312/auto

GREENBIRD56
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Lower pin taper of a Versailles steering knuckle might not fit a '57 sedan ball joint - but its a direct fit for a '57 Thunderbird. It will save having to ream the Granada or Monarch parts to an oversize. The little birds use the same lower joint - with the "big pin" for all three years.

Guess the guy's never looked at a little bird? Hope you didn't pass up a pair.......

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9ea2bf28-00c4-4772-9ac7-d154.jpg 
 Steve Metzger       Tucson, Arizona

MarkMontereyBay
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)

Steve,

Yep....a lot of misinformation about this kind of stuff. Fatman Fabrications has been around for a long time and makes dropped spindles for lots of Fords, etc. I haven't passed up a set as Lincoln Versailles are scarce as it is. I took his explanation seriously but I guess he was wrong about the early Birds or probably thinking of the regular bodied Fords. So much for trying to clear up some confusion. I have the Granada stuff and will stick with that.

http://www.fatmanfab.com/about.php

57 Black Tbird 312/auto

paul2748
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
The Bird ball joints are the sames as the sedans as far as I know. I have a 54 and it has the bigger lower joint so I had to ream out the Granada spindles that I used.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

62galxe
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (176 reputation)Supercharged (176 reputation)Supercharged (176 reputation)Supercharged (176 reputation)Supercharged (176 reputation)Supercharged (176 reputation)Supercharged (176 reputation)Supercharged (176 reputation)Supercharged (176 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
i put lincoln spindles on my 57. fit the lower balljoints just fine.

Kenny  Onalaska, Texas
MoonShadow
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
I have a set of Lincoln discs because of the bottom ball joint fitment. I think Fatman made a mistake on the year/model. As I recall 57 was a change year for ball joint in everything except the T-Birds.

As far as working pieces how wide is the rear end? Does it have rear disk brakes? I think they used the 8" Ford but could be 9". Chuck

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire

suede57ford
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)

The '57 bird and '57 car should use the same ball joint sizes.  The Lincoln is already the right size and a granada requires some reaming, same spindle other than that.

Pat Fleischman

bird55
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)

sorry, slightly off topic, but is the complete Versailles rear differential and axle THE correct dimension for a 55 tbird OR I should say what is the dimension of the 55 bird? I've always heard the Versailles is a bolt in fit ?? any opinions?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/d8028aa4-f8f9-4981-9e51-4428.jpg
       A  L  A  N   F  R  A  K  E  S   ~  Tulsa, OK    

MarkMontereyBay
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

If I remember clearly, the Lincoln Versailles rear axle housing is 58 inches wide. 55 Birds have a 56 inch rear tread width. Here are some tips that I had saved on installation in a Mustang.

http://www.mustangsplus.com/tech/versaill/index.htm

57 Black Tbird 312/auto

Reading This Topic

Site Meter