Profile Picture

Question for PFarcand..mini-starter

Posted By MarkMontereyBay 13 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Paul,

I read in your recent post about possible fitment and ring gear problems using front engaging mini-starters that replace the old-style rear engaging units. I haven't seen that problem talked about before. Can you educate me a little?

Thanks,

57 Black Tbird 312/auto

2188nrha
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (38 reputation)Normally aspirated (38 reputation)Normally aspirated (38 reputation)Normally aspirated (38 reputation)Normally aspirated (38 reputation)Normally aspirated (38 reputation)Normally aspirated (38 reputation)Normally aspirated (38 reputation)Normally aspirated (38 reputation)

Last Active: 13 Years Ago
I just received one and have it installed and so far no problems. Was definitely a painless installation. So far only used it on the dyno setting up and breaking in the engine.
aussiebill
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
MarkMontereyBay (8/16/2011)
Paul,

I read in your recent post about possible fitment and ring gear problems using front engaging mini-starters that replace the old-style rear engaging units. I haven't seen that problem talked about before. Can you educate me a little?

Thanks,

Mark, i have 2 cars wth them, like any starter, line it up and tighten bolts slowly and evenly so as not to tilt starter. i dont think theres a major problem as such. regards bill.

AussieBill            YYYY    Forever Y Block     YYYY

Down Under, Australia

MarkMontereyBay
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)

Yep...I have them also. Just finished changing the damper/balancer this afternoon. The starter works fine but if someone is having trouble I'd like to hear about it. Especially after going through the expense and effort to get my Fordo torque converter balanced and new ring gear installed.

57 Black Tbird 312/auto

aussiebill
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
MarkMontereyBay (8/16/2011)
Yep...I have them also. Just finished changing the damper/balancer this afternoon. The starter works fine but if someone is having trouble I'd like to hear about it. Especially after going through the expense and effort to get my Fordo torque converter balanced and new ring gear installed.

Mark, i can only add that when i brought 1st starter, the question was asked if was auto or man trans. 2nd starter i brought from Dan jessup and was marked auto but i am running it in manual trans car with normal starting. regards bill.Wink

AussieBill            YYYY    Forever Y Block     YYYY

Down Under, Australia

paul2748
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
I have one with a 4 speed and had no problems. Been using it about 4 years and it is really good.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

kevink1955
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I could not give up the "Old Ford Starter" sound any more than I could give up the Y block exaust sound. That said, I have 13 years and about 12,000 miles on my car since restoration and the original sweet sounding starter has never let me down.

Yes it's a pain to install but treat it right with a good full charged battery and properly sized cables and it will not let you down.

PF Arcand
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Mark: My post may have been a bit misleading. First, I believe it was Charlie Burns who questioned whether a front engagement mini starter "might" be a problem. Going back some, people using late (after 1964?) F.E. starters on Y-Blocks have in some cases run into problems, because Y starters all engaged from the rear, and the late F.E.s engage from the front. Therefore the Y flywheels have retaining tabs on the front side of the flywheel. In one case, written up in YBM, the ring gear was pushed off the flywheel by a late model F.E. starter. Our moderator,Ted, has written here about that problem. So.. is it possible that the same problem could occur with a front engagement mini, when used on a Y-flywheel ? Don't know, but it's a possibility...

Paul
MarkMontereyBay
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks Paul. I seem to remember some discussion of front engagement starters. I know that my 65 Galaxie FE uses a different tooth count flexplate ring gear and starter than the earlier Fords. Haven't had a problem with the PowerMaster made for FE's. The ring gear on the Fordomatic is welded in about 10 spots around the torque converter face so I don't think a front engagement starter could push it off. Not sure about standard shift flywheels. The AutoElectric Y Block mini-starter I have on the 57 Bird is working fine at present.

57 Black Tbird 312/auto

pegleg
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I'm running one on one of John's aluminum Flywheels. Not much chance the ring gear is welded to that. w00t Been working well for 5 or 6 years now.

Frank/Rebop

Bristol, In ( by Elkhart) 

Reading This Topic

Site Meter